DATE: 1887 - 1888
ORIGINAL OWNER: Charles Taylor
Springside School was started in 1879 by sisters, Mrs. Comegy and Miss Bell, in one of the two
houses of the south side of Summit Street between Prospect Street and the Reading Railroad. It soon
moved to the Northeast corner of Chestnut Hill and Norwood Avenues and remained there until the
move to the present location at the intersection of Willow Grove Avenue and Cherokee Street in
December, 1957. Land for the present school (originally part of the front lawn of Druim Moir, the
Houston estate), was given by Dr. and Mrs. Henry P. Brown as a birthday present to the school on its
75th anniversary. Addition to the Norwood Avenue school building was probably designed by
Cope and Stewardson, according to Jefferson Moak. The spring for which the school is named is
behind the house. Modern doctor's offices and a parking lot on site presently.
Note: Demolished Old Springside Upper School in Hotchkin, p. 455: "Mrs. Comegy's School
(Springside)," and on p. 487: "The site of Mrs. Comegy's and Miss Bell's Young Ladies School was
occupied by Justus Donat, a brother of the innkeeper, and was owned by Charles Taylor."