Thomas c. Price House

Suburban villa wyndmoor, pa

History

 

The area known as Wyndmoor in Springfield Township was located in Philadelphia County until 1784 at which time Montgomery County was established.

This area had become increasingly popular to city dwellers as a place for summer residence when Reading Railway extended their line in 1854.  (MacFarlane)

Our research for this property on the corner of Montgomery avenue and Birch Lane begins between 1829 and 1836 where John Krieble amassed property from four different sources to create a holding of approximately 112 acres. This land, which was described as a plantation farm with no mention of structures other than a barn, was sold to a Clayton T. Platt on 1851.

Clayton T. Platt was a developer who built many houses in the land along Montgomery Avenue and Evergreen  Avenue (MacFarlane). Between 1857 and 1864, the Platts built their own stone dwelling house on the property. The property also included a tenant house and stable.  The same description of dwelling was within the conveyance of the property to Susan T. Price (wife of Thomas C. Price) in 1874 with the purchase price of $19,500.   According to the Philadelphia City Directory of 1876, Thomas C. Price owned a dry goods importing business located at 312 Chestnut Street.

According to the Mueller Map of 1897 (view map), a footprint of the house is shown in its present location and confirming ownership of the Prices.  A Mueller Map of 1909 (view map) shows that the footprint of the house remained the same and the ownership is still within the Price family.  Between the Mueller map of 1909 and the Klinge map of 1927 (view map), the footprint of the house creases by approximately one-third indicating additions were made. The ownership changes twice during this time period from the Price family to the Sullivan family and eventually to the Hopkinson family.  The Hopkinson family occupied the house for the more than 50 years making them the longest residents of the property.  The Franklin map of 1938 indicates that an addition was made that more than doubled the original footprint.  The Sanborn map of 1954 (view map) indicates this same footprint.  Between 1977 and the present, the ownership changed two more times from the Hopkinson family to the Bird family, and finally to the present day owners, the Rock family.