Through deed research at the Philadelphia City Archives we discovered that the property at 430 S. 5th Street was purchased by Francis C. Heron on June 12, 1835. Using this information, we tracked down fire insurance information at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. These documents described the building's layout and material as well as naming Thomas Lancaster as the purchaser of the policy. We have transcribed the Mutual Assurance policy
dated 1839-1911 for those who are interested in more detailed information. In the 1860 Philadelphia City Directory Thomas Lancaster is listed as a grain merchant at this 5th Street address. The Hexamer Map of 1860
from the Free Library of Philadelphia provides information about how the building was classified. They identify this property as a 4th class brick dwelling with a store underneath and a shingled roof.