347 S. 4th St.

513-515 S. 4th St.

347 S. 4th St. / 337 Pine St. (NW corner of Pine and 4th Sts.)

Taylor sketch, 1861
Thorp, 2004

The historic drawing on the left shows a 3 1/2 story brick building constructed prior to 1795. The following is a table describing the evolution of the lot from 1795 to 1969. A 1795 fire insurance survey was located in the name of Joseph Stride. The property was deeded to Mary Shefley, daughter of Joseph Stride c. 1802 and insured by her. Mary Shefley's will indicates her intent to transfer the property to her granddaughter, Mary Warner, but no information could be located to confirm that this ever took place. Due to time constraints, deed information was not researched for the period from 1803 to 1865. By 1865 the property, along with the three adjoining properties to the north on 4th St., were owned by John Moss. All four properties were transferred as a group seven times until 1952. No deed information was researched after that date.

The original 18th century building appears to have survived until the 1960s. Photographic comparison between the 1861 and 1961 views shows a drastic change in the exterior of the building, but inconsistencies in the brick work in the later view and the identical location of the fenestrations lead to the assumption that the building was altered, not demolished. The style of the alterations indicates that the major changes were completed in the late 1800s.

Links to:

Historic Photographs Atlases City Surveys  

Chronology

Date
Notes
1784 City survey indicates that Joseph Stride owns lot
May, 1795 Fire insurance policy no. 554 for Joseph Stride insuring "three-story dwelling house" for £500
December 7, 1802

Mutual Assurance Co. fire insurance policy no. 1353 for Mary Shefley

"dwelling house situate on the North East corner of Pine & Fourth Streets...three stories high" for $400

1803 Mary Shefley to Mary (granddaughter) and John F. Warner, her husband by will (deed book E.F. 27 p. 697)
1803-1865 no deed information located
1857 Atlas Atlas showing brick building
1861 Taylor sketch showing 3 1/2 story building (possible commercial use on first floor, residential above)
June 20, 1865

John Moss to Joseph Moss, Eleazer L. Moss, David Samuel and Abraham Hart, trustees for Alfred A. Moss

"all that certain three story brick messuage or tenemant"

(at this time the three adjacent lots to the North on 4th St. [341, 343, & 345] were owned by John Moss and also transfered to the trustees)

1874 Atlas Atlas showing no changes to building footprint
1885 Atlas Atlas showing no changes to building footprint
September 28, 1889

Trustees for the shares of A.A. Moss, Estate of John Moss, deceased to Clara Woodward, by will

"all that certain three story brick messuage or tenemant and lot of piece of ground"

(at this time 341, 343, & 345 S. 4th St. were also transfered to Clara Woodward)

1897 Atlas Atlas showing no changes to building footprint, 3 1/2 story dwelling and store
1915 Atlas Atlas showing no changes to building footprint, 3 1/2 story dwelling and store
April 8, 1919

Clara Woodward to Samuel Salkowe

"all that lot or piece of ground" consisting of 341, 343, 345, & 347 S. 4th St.

April 8, 1919

Samuel Salkowe to Louis Petrosky

"all that lot or piece of ground" consisting of 341, 343, 345, & 347 S. 4th St.

April 8, 1919

Louis Petrosky and Fannie his wife to Louis M. Brown

"all that lot or piece of ground" consisting of 341, 343, 345, & 347 S. 4th St.

1939 Atlas Atlas showing extended footprint (three story store and apartment) covering entire lot with openings to 345 S. 4th St.
October 4, 1946

Louis M. Brown to Louis M. Brown and Tillie his wife

"3 Sty Brk Apt & Store $4600" consisting only of 347 S. 4th St.

September 28, 1948

Louis M. Brown to Louis M. Brown and Tillie his wife

"2 Sty Brk Dwg & Store" (341 S. 4th St.), "3 Sty Brk Dwg" (343 S. 4th St.), "3 Sty Brk Apt" (345 S. 4th) "7800 for all"

December 30, 1952

Tillie Brown to Martin L. Brown and Edith his wife

"all that lot or piece of ground" consisting of 341, 345, & 347 S. 4th St.

1956 Atlas Atlas showing no changes to building footprint, but three story apartments adjoined to 345 S. 4th St.
c. 1960s Photographs showing building at 345-347 S. 4th St. demolished
1969 Building permit for construction of new building at 345-347 S. 4th St.