Maps
Wetherill & Co. Store

 

In researching this site, these maps provided an insight into the changes of the property.
We can conclude from these maps alone that the Wetherill & Co. Store was demolished between 1897 and 1915.
The Market Street Elevated Passenger Railway Company was completed
in 1915 which lead to the demolition of the store.

The plot map was important in finding the lot numbers for the two properties shown in the sketch.
As seen in the below image, the property located at the corner of Front and Arch Streets
lists two lot numbers (#2 and #107). We knew from these numbers that the lot had been divided at a later date
and therefore was given a new lot number. In order to continue with our research, we
used the newer lot number to investigate the chain of title.

As seen from the first fire insurance map (1859), no numbers were provided for the addresses.
However, the surrounding lots did list number addresses. We were able to assume that the original addresses
were 65 and 67 N. Front Street. At a later date, these lots were divided and were given different number addresses.
When we continued our research, we used the original addrresses in order to find
the owners and occupants of each property.

 

Plot Map

Plot No. 1N1 - Current (November 2004)


Source: Philadelphia Bureau of Surveys and Design

 

 

Fire Insurance Maps

1859


Source: Free Library of Philadelphia, Hexamer & Locher, Maps of the City of Phildelphia.

 

1897


Source: Free Library of Philadelphia, Earnest Hexamer & Son, Insurance Maps of the City of Philadelphia.

 

1915


Source: Free Library of Philadelphia, Earnest Hexamer & Son, Insurance Maps of the City of Philadelphia.

 

Contents

Home