3rd and lombard
This structure was a cabinet-maker's store in 1831, and listed as a 4 story brick structure with store and dwelling above. The structure remained the same for a number of years with the use changing, until 1920, when it is listed as property of a school. It is presumed the same structure as that in Taylor's watercolor until 1940, when a permit was issued for its destruction. By 1958 maps show no structure at the northwest corner of 3rd and Lombard.
In 1830 this structure was listed as a 3 story brick structure with a store and dwelling above. The 1860 Hexamer Atlas shows what is most likely pictured here, and a 1902 photograph (taken approximately 40 years after this watercolor) shows the building almost exactly as it was painted. A permit for a new structure was issued in 1906, and so this is when the building in Taylor's watercolor is presumed to have disappeared.
This building is obviously constructed of wood, and is listed as such in the 1860 Hexamer Atlas. It is still listed as a frame structure in the 1896 Bromley, but in the 1908 Smith it is shown to be a 3 story brick structure. Although we uncovered significantly less information on this building, it can be presumed that the building in Taylor's watercolor disappeared in the very late 19th century or early 20th.
Logan McClintic-Smith & Sarah Shotwell
digital media 624