West Side of 12th Street above Chestnut

1861

While it is known that a row of buildings was constructed on this site in 1804, it is unclear if those are the ones depicted above. Three-story brick dwellings were, however, described in the deed of 1846. At the time of the painting, the buildings were owned by a druggist named Samuel Simes, and the census of a couple decades later lists a number of commercial activities taking place at this location.