Southeast Corner of 11th Street and Sansom

1861

This watercolor depicts a building that was most likely constructed by the Roman Catholic Society of St. Joseph some time between 1831 and 1841. At the time of the painting, it was owned by Hugh Mooney, a tavernkeeper. The first floor was used for commercial purposes, possibly for a tavern, or possibly for a dry goods store.