1861 Taylor Watercolor of structure on corner of 18th & Ann Streets near Spruce, torn down 1867
The structure depicted in this Taylor Watercolor was one of three wooden, one story dwellings which were situated on the corner of 18th and Ann Streets. This was an area of substantial residential growth around Rittenhouse Square. Deeds records demonstrate that the lot on which these structres were located was split and sold to new owner in 1868, immediately following their demolition. By 1874, the lots were expanded from their original size to accomodate larger structures. This area continued to prosper as a sough-after residential neighborhood.