1861 Taylor Watercolor depicting structure on West side of Walnut St, North of 21st St. torn down 1868
At the time that Taylor observed this building, it was located in a stone yard that was located on entire block bounded by Walnut & Sansom, 21st and Aspen, that was dedicated to commercial use. In addition to a carpenter shop and a livery stable, the majority of the lot was dedicated a stone yard. This site was a center for the buying, selling, and cutting of various types of stone, like brownstone, granite, flagstone, and marble. Nearby properties in the same vicinity were dedicated to the same purpose. However, by the end of the decade, the area was became the prospect of residential developers. Gradually, these yards were moving West to the banks of the Schuylkill and these structures were demolished. The area became a prime area for the homes of the Philadelphia elite.
The 1874 map, below, shows the same block with the addition of a series of rowhouses. E. Burgess Warren, a real estate developer who had purchased a number of lots in this area, was responsible for the building of the Rice Warren Double Row house in 1868, the same year in which the structure depicted in the Taylor watercolor was demolished. The only remaining structure from the time of the watercolor is the livery stable.