Sketches of Philadelphia in 1861:

Watercolors by Taylor

Home 1700 Market Street 2000 Arch Street 2100 Arch Street Research/Sources

 

Overview of 1700 Block of Market Street from 1810-1914

 

1727, 1725, and 1723 Street, Philadelphia, PA (left to right).

Watercolor by Taylor (1861). Courtesty of Winterthur Library.

 

 

When Taylor sketched 1723, 1725, and 1727 Market Street in 1861, the buildings he depicted were wood-frame mixed-use dwellings, each housing a residence and a store. 1727 Market Street was occupied by a saddle and harness-making business from at least 1850, and 1725 Market Street had been the site of a pottery from as early as 1810. Sometime between 1861-1874, the structure at 1723 Market was demolished and the pottery expanded to occupy the two lots. Although the trade remained the same at both properties, business ownership changed hands several times. The saddle and harness business appears to have been a tenant, rather than an owner, until the building was sold in 1866 to a commissioning merchant partnerhsip. The owners of the various potteries were tenants from 1810 until 1873, when potter James Galloway purchased the lot.


According to the 1860 Hexamer Atlas, the buildings were located in a mixed-use commerican and residential area. The West Chester and Philadelphia Railroad Passenger and Freight Depot was located at the western edge of the block at the northeast corner of 18th and Market Streets. Lining both sides of 1700 Market were mixed-use retail/residential buildings. Interestingly, almost all of the other buildings on Market Street were masonry, suggesting that the wood-framed buildings that Taylor drew were among the last in the area.


By 1868, the pottery was the last of the three buildings still standing. 1727 Market had been purchased by a commissioning merchant company two years earlier and consolidated with several neighboring lots to make way for the construction of large five-story flour and grain warehouse. Tbe pottery building was probably demolished between 1889, when the pottery’s last owner, James Galloway, sold the property, and 1890, when Pennsylvania Railroad began operating a new freight depot on the site.


The freight depot was constructed as part of a major expansion undertaken by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company during the 1880s and 1890s. In 1880 the Pennsylvania Railroad Company began to acquire land between Filbert and Jones Streets and Broad Street and the Schuylkill River in preparation for the construction of large new passenger station at Broad and Market Streets. Between 1880 and 1890 about 190 buildings were demolished to make way for railway lines connecting the new station with the existing West Philadelphia Passenger Station. By 1881, the new rail lines were in place behind the 1700 block of Market Street (the rail lines are visible in the 1887 Hexamer map). The company also decided to construct a new freight depot at 17th and Market, and began work on the building in 1889. By 1890, the new facility was in operation, and was complete by 1894. The 1915 Hexamer map shows the freight depot as occupying the entire block between 17th and 18th Streets and Jones and Filbert Streets.

For more detailed information about 1723, 1725 and 1727 Market Streets, images, and sources, see individual building overviews and timelines.

 

1723 Market Street: Overview and Timeline

1725 Market Street: Overview and Timeline

1727 Market Street: Overview and Timeline

Maps of 1700 Block of Market Street

Images of Businesses Along the 1700 Block of Market Street

Images of Pennsylvania Railroad Company Development Along the 1700 Block of Market Street

Last Updated December 11, 2004