1723 Market Street was conveyed to William Lewis Wistar in 1812 by Richard
Wistar. The property was owned by William Lewis Wistar until 1891 when
it was purchased by the Pennsylvania Railroad Company.
Neither Richard Wistar nor William Wistar ever occupied 1723 Marke. It
appeared to have been a rental property housing an unidentified store
and dwelling. By 1874, the building had been demolished and the lot was
leased to the adjacent pottery, Galloway and Graff at 1725
Market Street. Amasonry drying oven and one-story wood stable was
built on the lot.
The 1861 Taylor watercolor depicts the building at the time William Wistar
owned it. According to the Hexamer Atlas of 1860, the building was a two-story
wood-frame dwelling and store.
Timeline of 1723 Market Street
of 1700 Block of Market Street
Images of Pennsylvania Railroad
Company Development along the 1700 Block of Market Street