Sketches of Philadelphia in 1861:

Watercolors by Taylor

Home 1700 Market Street 2000 Arch Street 2100 Arch Street Research/Sources

 

Timeline for 1725 Market Street from 1786-1914

 

1727, 1725 and 1723 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA (left to right).

Watercolor by Taylor (1861). Image courtesy Winterthur Library.

Printable PDF version of the Timeline

1725 Market Street Overview

1700 Market Street Block Overview

Date Owner Occupant Building/Lot/Event Source(s)  

1786

 

 

 

 

 

Grantor: Commonwealth of Pennsylvania

 

Grantee: John Fromberger, merchant, 2nd, b. Market and Arch Streets.

 

October 20, 1786: John Fromberger receives letter of patent from Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for a “certain lot of piece of ground situate on the north side of High Street between Schuylkill Fifth and Schuylkill Sixth Streets in the City of Philadelphia.”

 

 

 

 

Deed: John Chrystler et al. and Christian Haars, July 13, 1806 (Deed Book EF 29, pp. 537-539)

Philadelphia Directory 1785 by Francis White

 

 
1806 Estate of John Fromberger   June 19, 1806: Orphans Court Hearing after John Fromberger dies in testate. Held at petition of Jacob Chrystler and John Greiner “setting forth the insufficiency of the Personale Estate of the said Intestate to pay his just debts And maintain and educate his minor children.” Court orders sale of property. Deed: John Chrystler et al. and Christian Haars, July 13, 1806 (Deed Book EF 29, pp. 537-539)  
1806

Grantor: John Chrystler et al.

Grantee: Christain Haars, vinegar merchant, 12 Nicholson Ct.

  July 13, 1806: Lot sold at public auction at the Merchant’s Coffee House. Purchased by Christan Haars for $900.”

Deed: John Chrystler et al. and Christian Haars, July 13, 1806(Deed Book EF 29, pp. 537-539)

John A. Paxton’s Philadelphia Directory and Register for 1819

 
1810   Mullowney, John, Washington, Pottery "…at 1725 Market street for years, indeed until about a generation ago, a celebrated American pottery stood for years. This is known to have been in existence as early as 1810, but the exact year in which is was founded does not have appeared to have been preserved. This was the famed Washington Pottery, founded by Captain John Mullowney, a brickmaker. His advertisements in 1811 show that the principal business of the pottery was the manufacture of what was called Washington ware, a good quality of pottery, which was made in pitchers, coffee pots, teapots, sugar dishes, cream pots, wash basins, bowls, etc. Mullowney continued in business until 1816, but the pottery was continued by his successors until sometime in early 80’s. These Washington pitchers, etc. are now highly prized by collectors of early American china and pottery and are rather pleasing in shape an in their decoration." Jackson, Joseph, Market Street:
The Most Historic Highway in
America. Philadelphia: Patterson
& White Co, 1918, pages 183-184.
 
1812   Mollowny, John, Washington Pottery Warehouse, High Street, near Sch 6th   John A. Paxton’s Philadelphia Directory and Register for 1813  

1816

 

 

 

 

 

John Mollowny leaves the pottery.

 

 

 

 

Property continues to operate under new tenant (unnamed).

 

 

 

 

Scharf, J. Thomas and Thompson Wescott, History of Philadelphia, 1609-1884, Vol. III. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts & Co, 1884.

 

 

1829

 

 

 

 

Haars, Jacob, potter, High ab Sch 5th

 

 

 

DeSilvers Philadelphia Directory and Strangers Guide 1830

 

 

 
1832   Haars, Jacob potter High ab Sch 5th Last year Jacob Haars appears in directories. DeSilvers Philadelphia Directory and Strangers Guide 1833  
1836   Grum, John H., potter, High bel. Sch. 5th h 6 s Sch 5th   Robinson’s Philadelphia City Directory for 1837  
1846

 

 

 

Grum, John, potter, 87 West High Street

 

Last year John Grum appears in directories.

 

 

McElroy’s City Directory for 1847

 

 
1847   Grum, Maria, potter 87 West High Street   McElroy’s City Directory for 1848  
1849   Grum, Maria, potter 87 West High Street Last year Maria Grum appears in directories at 87 West High Street. McElroy’s City Directory for 1850  
1850   Owens, Peter, potter; 87 W. High, h. Bedford n. Union   McElroy’s Philadelphia City Directory for 1851  

1851

 

 

 

Grantor: J. Scott, Executor of Jacob Haars

Grantee: James Magee

 

January 2, 1851: Lot sold.

 

 

 

Transfer Sheet for Lot 1N1090

 

 

 
1854   Owens and Tilton, earthenware manufacturers; 87 W. Market ab. 17th   McElroy’s Philadelphia City Directory for 1855  

1859

 

 

   

Lot indicated as Pottery.

Frame building with brick exterior.

Front section is 3 stories, then building drops back to 2 stories with an open court. Indicated as 1st class.

Front section is 3 stories, then building drops back to 2 stories with an open court. Indicated as 1st class.

Hexamer and Locher Atlas 1860, Volume 2

 

 

 

 
1861     Watercolor sketch by Taylor of three unidentified buildings on the 1700 block of Market Street. Winterthur Library.
1865   Owens, Peter W., 1725 Market (business directory; Potteries)   McElroy’s Philadelphia City Directory for 1866  
1868  

1725 Market Street: Galloway and Graff (Potteries)

  Gospill’s Philadelphia Business Directory 1869:  
1873

Grantor: James Magee

Grantee: William Galloway

  July 1, 1873: Lot Sold Transfer Sheet for Lot 1N1090  
1874    

Lot identified as Market Street Pottery.


Has expanded into eastward lot (1723 Market Street owned by Richard Wistar; building now demolished).


Building indicated as brick with skylights; boiler; goes back to Jones Street.

G.H. Jones & Company Map of Philadelphia, Vol. 3, 1875.  
1876    

Galloway & Graff publish catalogue for 1876 Philadelphia Centennual Exhibition

Galloway& Graff Catalogue for 1876 Centennial Exhibition. The Library Compnay of Philadelphia.  
1886    

Lots 1725-1723 identified as Store & Pottery Company.


1725 identified as brick, stone or iron specially hazardous building; wood frame; skylights-lighting the top floor only; slate or metal roof.


1st section of building: 3-stories; gravel or composition roof; 3rd floor-no openings; skylight not wood frame (iron?); 2nd floor-openings/ wooden shutters; 1st floor no openings.
2nd section: 3-stories; slate or metal roof; wood-framed skylight; 3rd floor: openings or wooden shutters; 2nd floor: openings or wooden shutters; 1st floor: no openings.


3rd section: 4-stories; slate or metal roof; 4th floor: opening or shutters; 3rd floor: no opening; 2nd floor: opening; 1st floor: no opening; 4 lines may indicate wall rises 24 inches above the roof


1723: open lot with drying oven and stable
Oven: masonry
Stable: brick and wood frame; shingle or wooden roof; 1 story; indicated as specially hazardous frame building.

E. Hexamer and Sons Atlas, 1887  
1888   1725 Market Street: Galloway, Graff and Company Last year Galloway and Graff appears in directories. In 1890 listing under potteries for: Galloway, William S. 32nd c. Walnut Gospill’s Philadelphia Business Directory 1891  
1889

Grantor: William and Mary Galloway

Grantee: John Wilson

 

May 13, 1899: Lot Sold.

Transfer Sheet for Lot 1N1090  
1889

Grantor: John Wilson

Grantee: Pennsylvania Railroad Company

 

July 19, 1889: Lot sold.

Photo of Pennsylvania Railroad Construction along Market Street

Transfer Sheet for Lot 1N1090

Photo of Pennsylvania Railroad Construction along Market Street. Philadelphia City Archives.

 
1890

Pennsylvania Railroad Company

  New freight depot in operation. Depot complete by 1894. Wilson, William Bender, History of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company, Vol. I. Jenry T. Coates & Company: Philadelphia, 1895, pages 184-186.  
1914    

Entire block,17th to 18th, Market to Filbert Streets taken over by Pennsylvania Railroad.

Railroad property runs Market to Filbert Street, Broad to 18th Streets. 1st Floor is Freight Depot. 2nd floor is Freight Shed.

Photo of Freight Depot and Shed in 1915

E. Hexamer and Sons Atlas, 1915

Photo of Freight Depot and Shed in 1915. Philadelphia City Archives.

 
Last Updated December 11, 2004