Sketches of Philadelphia in 1861:
Overview of 2000 Block of Arch Street from 1813-1874
2008, 2010, and 2012 Arch Street, Philadelphia, PA (left to right).
Watercolor by Taylor (1861). Image courtesy of Winterthur Library.
2008, 2010, and 2012 Arch Street along with two similar wood frame dwellings
(2014 and 2016 Arch Street) were extant as early as 1813, when they were
granted to Edward Randolph by Anthony Cuthbert and John M. Jones. In 1839,
George and Richard Randolph, for the deceased Edward Randolph, conveyed
2008 Arch Street to Jacob and Margaret Justice. At that time, the lot
was described as a framed dwelling or tenement 84’ feet west of
20th street. Between May 1863 and September 1863, Samuel Bunting purchased
all eleven properties along Arch Street between 20th Street and 21st Street,
including the lot owned by the Justice family. 2008 Arch Street was conveyed
to Samuel Bunting by the deceased Jacob Justice’s five children.
The lots were conveyed to Joseph Mulvaney in September 1863 with the agreement
that he would consolidate eight of the lots into seven and build a four
story brick dwelling on each property.
The 1861 Taylor watercolor depicts the three tenements when the Justice
family owned the lot at 2008 Arch Street. The 1860 Hexamer Atlas indicates
that five two-story frame dwellings, which dropped down to one story in
the back buildings, occupied the block, suggesting that the dwellings
at 2014 and 2016 Arch were demolished sometime between 1859 and 1861.
The area around the homes was a mixed-use commercial and residential distric.
The masonry building beyond the homes was a screw and bolt factory, and
a meat packing factory and a public schoo were located nearby.A comparison
of owners' names and city directories indicates that none of the owners
lived the dwellings, suggesting that the homes were occupied by tenants,
who perhaps worked at the local factories.
In 1864 and 1865, four-story brick dwellings located at 2008, 2010, and 2012 Arch Street were sold by Joseph Mulvaney to William Jenks Fell, David Thain, and Joseph M. Oliver, respectively. According to the Bromley Atlas of 1874, the entire south side of 2000 Arch Street, except for the screw and bolt factory, had been filled in with brick row houses. Similar development, also involving Samuel Bunting, occurred on the 2100 block of Arch Street.
|Last Updated December 11, 2004|