Color Legend
McClatchy

On April 24, 1912, John H. McClatchy bought 250 feet of land along Chestnut Street west of 48th Street and 214 feet 6 inches north of Chestnut to Ludlow Street from the Pennsylvania Company for Insurance on Lives and the McInnis Estate. Though he did not develop this land, John McClatchy would go on to be one of the larger developers in West Philadelphia.

This transaction marks the beginning of a series of transactions that will accompany the development of and speculation on the property that will become Fallon Street.

To find out more about the development of West Philadelphia, The Center City Historic Society has a web page about The West Philadelphia Streetcar Suburb Historic District.

Home