142 Bethlehem Pike

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
(photo courtesy of Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.85)


DATE: 1883
ORIGINAL OWNER: Joseph Patterson, Developer
ARCHITECT: Unknown
CONTRACTOR: William C. Mackie

An exuberant example of Queen Anne-style architecture in Chestnut Hill,
it came to be called “The Berkins” and was the home of Mayor William E.
Goodman. This is one of three late Victorian houses Joseph Patterson developed
along Bethlehem Pike including numbers 122 and 132. The house was reputed
to have the largest maple tree (13 foot circumference) in the community, and
was the site of the founding of the Garden Club of America.