(photo courtesy of Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.66)
(photo courtesy of Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.67)
Called “The Yellowstone,” this was the home of Samuel Goodman who developed many of the houses in the
northern portion of the community, especially along West Chestnut Hill Avenue. Goodman was a relative of
Naylor’s second wife, and built their house at 201 West Chestnut Hill Avenue. This photograph, taken from near
the corner of Germantown and West Chestnut Hill avenues (where George Howe later constructed a cluster
of Colonial Revival townhouses), again reminds us of the openness of the area. The porch was removed in 1919.