ORIGINAL OWNER: Russel Thayer
CONTRACTOR: James Kinnier's Sons
This shingle-style dwelling sited on the edge of the Wissahickon was radically altered in 1911 and 1913 by
Brockie & Hastings, and in 1923, 1927, and 1935 by Tilden, Register & Pepper so that today the house little
resembles the one pictured here. The original version of the house signaled the change from a Victorian to a more
contemporary aesthetic--an overall horizontal character expressed in mass, roof lines, linear alignment of
elements, but punctuated by the vertical tower that added an element of tension; shingles were used to
visually blend the geometric masses into a unified whole.