444 West Chestnut Hill Avenue

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(photo courtesy of Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.111)

 

DATE: 1884-1885
ORIGINAL OWNER: Charles A. Newhall
ARCHITECT: Wilson Eyre, Jr.
CONTRACTOR: Unknown

Known originally as “Wisteria,” this house is one of several country houses in Chestnut Hill designed by
Wilson Eyre. The elaborate Flemish gable is the defining characteristic of the house. The west end of the dwelling
has been enclosed and regularized, and the timbered wing projecting toward the street was an addition
designed by Carl Ziegler in 1919 to what had been Eyre’s principally linear composition. The primary façade
faces away from the street where the wisteria vines grow and from which the house derives its name.