501 West Moreland Avenue

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(photo courtesy of Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.118)


DATE: 1894
ORIGINAL OWNER: J. Levering Jones
ARCHITECT: George T. Pearson
CONTRACTOR: George Hearst

Called “Homecroft” or “Eastdene,” this brick Georgian Revival dwelling with the large two-story portico was
influenced by nostalgia for and interest in ant-bellum southern plantation homes that developed late in the
19th century. However, there were few examples of this style in Chestnut Hill, largely due to the prevalence and
popularity of stone for construction as well as the strength of the Philadelphia architectural traditions.