8440 St. Martins Lane
ORIGINAL OWNER: Joseph Sill Clark
ARCHITECT: Clarence C. Zantzinger
CONTRACTOR: William B. Dougherty
“Kates Hall” is one of those little known Chestnut Hill treasures, tucked into the edge of the Wissahickon,
away from the street, and the public’s view. Like 8811 Towanda Street, this house under went a radical
transformation of style (in 1935), converting it from anItalian-Renaissance palazzo as seen in this photograph to
a restrained neo-Georgian country home.