127 West Chestnut Hill Avenue

 

 
 

 

 

 
 
 
 
(photo courtesy of Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.98, 1970.141)

 

DATE: 1891
ORIGINAL OWNER: William C. Mackie
ARCHITECT: G. W. & W. D. Hewitt
CONTRACTOR: William C. Mackie

The Hewitt brothers designed extensively in Chestnut Hill for H.H. Houston, although this house was commissioned
by William Mackie, the contractor, for himself. It is characteristic of the Philadelphia version of Queen Anne design where the
elaborate and fanciful wood ornament is "hung" on heavy stonewalls. The substantial mass and weight of the walls make a
delightful contrast to the light and relatively fragile nature of the wood ornament.