305 West Chestnut Hill Avenue

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

(photo courtesy of Chestnut Hill Historical Society-John Naylor Collection: 1970.100)


DATE: 1887-1888
ORIGINAL OWNER: Alfred C. Rex
ARCHITECT: Lindley Johnson
CONTRACTOR: Henry Taylor

This Victorian confection known as "Wainwright," with its flamboyant gables and timber work, broad
curved porch, and three-story stone tower topped with an open porch is little recognized in the community
today. Substantial alterations in the years following Mr. Naylor's photograph have stripped it of much of its
Victorian character, and the growth of trees have all but obscured it from the street. The carriage house still exists and
is in corresponding style to this design. The property has been alternatively known as "Blithedell," "Stony Brook Farm,"
and today is known as "Seasons," and is part of the Benjamin Rush Medical Center.