B. COMMUNITIES


Instructions: For a small, quick-loading preview image, click on the small square by the item number. The larger rectangle following the identifying data will display a full-screen view in a second browser window.
For best results, demaximize (resize) your browser windows and stagger them slightly, shifting this window slightly to the right, so that the full-screen image viewing window will show to the left.


B1. Old Meeting house, 12th ab. Chestnut, W. side, Friends' 12th Street Meeting House (built 1812-13).
Gelatin silver print by George Mark Wilson, ca. 1923.
Library Company of Philadelphia, Gift of Mrs. Margaret O. Sweeney, 1979.

B2. Academy of Natural Sciences, southeast corner of 12th and Sansom streets (built 1816 as Swedenborgian Church of the New Jerusalem, William Strickland, architect).
Engraving by C. G. Childs from Childs, Views in Philadelphia and Its Environs (Philadelphia, 1827-30).
Library Company of Philadelphia.

B3. St. John’s Church, Philadelphia, east side 13th above Chestnut Street (built 1831-32, William Rodrigue, architect).
Colored lithograph by J. C. Wild, from Wild, Views of Philadelphia, and Its Vicinity (Philadelphia, 1838).
Library Company of Philadelphia.

This church was rebuilt along much the same lines in stone after a fire at the turn of the century.

B4. Elevation, St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Church, west side 13th Street above Pine (built 1839-40, Thomas S. Stewart, architect).
Elevation by Stewart, 14 June 1839.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia (STW *004 *003).

The caption indicates that the steeple was excluded from the agreed-upon design.

B5a. Universalist Church of the Messiah, 1319-21 Locust Street (built 1850-51, Thomas U. Walter, architect).
Albumen print, ca. 1885.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

For a later view showing the extant townhouses on this site, see item D15.

B5b. Universalist Church of the Messiah, interior.
Albumen print, ca. 1885.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania.

B6. Map of area, 1874.
Photocomposite from G. H. Jones & Co, Atlas of Philadelphia in Fifteen Volumes, Vol. 1 (Philadelphia, 1874), plate 6, and Volume 2 (Philadelphia, 1875), plate 6.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

B7. Old First High School House, Central High School, east side Juniper Street, south of Market Street (built 1837-38, Thomas U. Walter, architect), view from Penn Square.
Calotype by Frederick DeBourg Richards, 1854.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

For a later view of the site, showing an early incarnation of Wanamaker's store, see item C17.

B8. Detail of "The Seventh Ward of Philadelphia, The Distribution of Negro Inhabitants Throughout the Ward, and their social condition."
From W. E. B. Du Bois, The Philadelphia Negro: A Social Study (Philadelphia, 1899).
Library Company of Philadelphia.

B9. Fire insurance survey of St Thomas African Episcopal Church, 203-09 South 12th Street (built 1889-90, T. Frank Miller, architect), 18 December 1890.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records (policy 0: 70044).

B10. St. Peter Claver's Roman Catholic Church, 1200 Lombard Street (built 1841 as Fourth Presbyterian Church, Thomas U. Walter, architect).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

This church was rededicated in 1892 for an African-American Catholic congregation.

B11a. 1112-18 Lombard Street (Former church adapted to residential use as Washington Mews, Frank Weise, architect, 1960s).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

B11b. Fire insurance survey of Protestant Episcopal Church of the Ascension, 1112-18 Lombard Street (built 1834-36 as All Souls' P. E. Church, Thomas U. Walter, architect), 4 October 1836, resurveyed 3 October 1891 as Shiloh Baptist Church.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records (policy 0: 1662).

B12. "... a correct List of the White Male Taxable Inhabitants of the Seventh Ward ... for 1861," broadsheet(s) cut up and pasted into an unrelated 1861 publication.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

B13. Committee to Visit the Colored People, "Census facts Collected by Benjamin C. Bacon And Charles Gardner," ms., 4 vols., 1838, vol. 3, "Census B.C.B. no. 1."
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Abolition Society Papers.

B14. R. R. Wright, Jr., comp., The Philadelphia Colored Directory, 1908 (Philadelphia, 1908).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (Wa 028V).

B15. W. E. B. Du Bois, The Philadelphia Negro: A Social Study (Philadelphia, 1899).
Library Company of Philadelphia.

B16. "Businesses Conducted by Colored People in Philadelphia," in Armstrong Association of Philadelphia, The Negro in Business in Philadelphia (Philadelphia, 1917).
Library Company of Philadelphia.

B17. Locust Street School, northeast corner 12th and Locust streets (built 1827-28).
Franklin D. Edmunds, The Public School Buildings of the City of Philadelphia from 1745-1845 (Philadelphia, 1913).
Library Company of Philadelphia.

This site is also glimpsed in a coeval watercolor, item E6.

B18. Philadelphia Society for Organizing Charity, Second Annual Report of the Seventh Ward Association of the Philadelphia Society for Organizing Charity…. (Philadelphia, 1880).
Library Company of Philadelphia.


[Home] Next section: C. Commerce: [Introductory text] [Exhibition items]
http://www.brynmawr.edu/iconog/washw/b.htm; Last revision 13 Feb. 04 jc