C. Commerce


Instructions: For a small, quick-loading preview image, click on the small square by the item number. The larger rectangle following the identifying data will display a full-screen view in a second browser window.
For best results, demaximize (resize) your browser windows and stagger them slightly, shifting this window slightly to the right, so that the full-screen image viewing window will show to the left.


C1. Northeast corner of Twelfth and Spruce Street.
Watercolor by Benjamin R. Evans, 1883.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

C2a. Southeast corner 13th and Locust streets.
Photograph, 10 November 1917.
Philadelphia City Archives (902/ #3795).

C2b. Fire insurance survey of store and dwelling, southeast corner 13th and Locust, for Thomas R. Patton, 8 August 1854 (photoreproduction).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records (policy 155: 21018).

C3. Fire insurance survey of livery stable, southwest corner 11th and Charlotte streets [220 South 11th Street, sw corner St. James Street] for Richard Park, 22 July 1854 (photoreproduction).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records (policy 155: 20967).

C4a. Store or tavern, northeast corner 13th and Lombard streets.
Photograph, 1928.
Philadelphia City Archives (922/ #18829).

C4b. Houses, northeast corner 13th and Lombard streets.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

Note the nearly complete erasure of traces of the former store.

C5a. Fire insurance survey of tavern, northwest corner Pine and Quince streets [1127 Pine Street], for Abram McKeal, 18 June 1831.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records (policy 0: 303).

C5b. Northwest corner Pine and Quince streets.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

C6. A Guide to the Stranger, or Pocket Companion for the Fancy, Containing a List of the Gay Houses and the Ladies Of Pleasure in the City of Brotherly Love and Sisterly Affection (Philadelphia, 1849).
Library Company of Philadelphia.

C7. Frank Meehan grocery, southeast corner 13th and Pine streets.
Photograph, 3 October 1928.
Philadelphia City Archives (1220/ #18835).

C8. Fire insurance survey of tavern, 1105-15 Pine Street, for James Stroud, 19 November 1852 (photoreproduction)
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records (policy 130: 17024).

This site later accommodated the Gladstone Apartments; see item D19.

C9. 7th Ward Central Hotel, 1300 Lombard Street.
Albumen print on cardboard, ca. 1886.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

For a later view of the site, see item E20.

C10. Printing works and office, "Henry R. Ashmead, Book and Job Printer, . . . George Street above Eleventh" [1104 Sansom Street].
Engraving, ca. 1856.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

C11. Concert Hall and Chestnut Street Theatre, Chestnut Street at Twelfth (north side), 1211-27 Chestnut Street.
Watercolor by Benjamin R. Evans, 1879.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

For earlier structures at this site, see items A2 and A11.

C12. "Domestic" and Grover & Baker Sewing Machines, store interior, 1111 Chestnut Street.
Albumen print stereograph by R. Newell & Son, ca. 1877.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

C13 a-f. The Baxter Panoramic Business Directory, engravings, 1879-80.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (V37:31-36)

Published as advertising vehicles, these sheets were issued only for a few dozen blockfronts that were predominantly commercial. Non-subscribing stores would not have their names lettered onto their buildings.

C13a. 1100 block Chestnut Street, north side, Nov. 1879, no. 13.

C13b. 1100 block Chestnut Street, south side, Mar. 1880, no. 31.

C13c. 1200 block Chestnut Street, north side, Feb. 1880, no. 26.

C13d. 1200 block Chestnut Street, south side, Apr. 1880, unnum.

C13e. 1300 block Chestnut Street, north side, Jan. 1880, no. 24.

C13f. 1300 block Chestnut Street, south side, Feb. 1880, no. 29.

C14. Map of area, 1885.
Photocomposite from George W. and Walter S. Bromley, Atlas of the City of Philadelphia, Volume 1, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th & 10th Wards (Philadelphia: G.W. Bromley & Co., 1885), plates I, J, K, N, O, P.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

C15. Market Street, South West corner of 12th Street in 1841.
Watercolor by David J. Kennedy, 1841.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (K 2-98).

For a later view of the site, see item E4.

C16. Stores of the Girard Estate, cor. Market & 12th Sts. [southeast corner].
Perspective after design by James H. Windrim, architect, from Builder and Decorator (Philadelphia), December 1888.
Bryn Mawr College, William A. Keely Collection, gift of John W. Freas, 1993.

For an earlier view of the site, see item I7.

C17. John Wanamaker's Grand Depot, northwest corner 13th and Chestnut streets (remodeled 1870s -1880s).
Lithograph, ca. 1884.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

For earlier buildings on this site, see items A4 and B7.

C18a. Hotel Walton, Philadelphia, Pa., 233-47 South Broad Street (built 1893-95, Angus Wade, architect).
Gelatin silver print by Byron, 1908.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

C18b. Lobby, Hotel Walton, Phila, Pa.
Gelatin silver print by Byron, 1908.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

C19. View of Philadelphia from City Hall, looking South.
Gelatin silver print by William H. Rau, 1894.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

C20. The Lucas Building, Philadelphia, Willis G. Hale, architect, 1326 Chestnut Street (built 1887-88).
Photograph from Architectural Era (Philadelphia), October 1889.
Bryn Mawr College, William A. Keely Collection, gift of John W. Freas, 1993.

Tastes changed quickly in the nineteenth century. Within a decade of this building's completion, it was lambasted in the national architectural press as an "architectural abberation," and ascribed to an architect for whom historical architecture was "a field not for study, but for pillage."

C21. S. E. cor 13th & Chestnut Sts., DeLong Building, 1232 Chestnut St (built 1899-1900, Horace Trumbauer, architect).
Watercolor by E. R. Stoever, 1914.
Bryn Mawr College, gift of Joseph M. Fox, 1975.

C22. Antique Store, Pine Street E. of 13th St., "The Old Curiosity Shop" of James Eham, 1237 Pine Street.
Gelatin silver print by George Mark Wilson, ca. 1923.
Library Company of Philadelphia, Gift of Mrs. Margaret O. Sweeney, 1979.

C23. Meade's Antiques, 1117-19 Pine Street (built 1850 as public school, with front stairway tower added in 1893).
Photograph, 25 September 1958.
Philadelphia City Archives (1219/ #36259).


[Home] Next section: D. Enclave: [Introductory text] [Exhibition items]
http://www.worldlynx.net/printroom/c.htm; Last revision 03/10/00. eb.