E. PERSISTENCE AND AMBITIONS


Instructions: For a small, quick-loading preview image, click on the small square by the item number. The larger rectangle following the identifying data will display a full-screen view in a second browser window.
For best results, demaximize (resize) your browser windows and stagger them slightly, shifting this window slightly to the right, so that the full-screen image viewing window will show to the left.


E1a. Architectural office for Mellor & Meigs, 207 S. Juniper Street (built 1912, Mellor & Meigs, architects).
Gelatin silver print, ca. 1912.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Mellor & Meigs Collection.
In 1906 Walter Mellor and Arthur Meigs founded a firm that soon became a favorite for work in Philadelphia's elite suburbs. Their gracefully composed buildings were often informed by an anglophilic medievalism, but at the same time by an appreciation for the broad textures and large parts that defined a species of early modernism. From 1916 they were joined by George Howe, who left the firm in 1928 and began to work with a different notion of modernism (see item E4).

E1b. Mellor & Meigs office, drafting room.
Gelatin silver print, ca. 1912.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Mellor & Meigs Collection.

E2. Western Union, 1103-13 Locust Street (built 1922, W. Welles Bosworth, architect).
Gelatin silver print, ca. 1930.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Dillon Collection (photo #460).
A handsomely proportioned and boldly detailed building by the company's Boston-based architect. In the previous decade, Bosworth had designed the main campus for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, his alma mater. After World War I he led the restoration efforts on several of the most famous French cathedrals and palaces.

E3. Map of area, 1930.
Photocomposite from Elvino V. Smith. Atlas of the 5th to 10th Wards of the City of Philadelphia… (Philadelphia, 1927 [rev. 1930]), plates 9-11, 14-16.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E4. Philadelphia Savings Fund Society Building, 12 South 12th Street (built 1930-32, Howe & Lescaze, architects).
Gelatin silver print by Harry S. Hood, ca. 1940.
Library Company of Philadelphia.
For an earlier view of the site, see item C15.

E5a. Preliminary design for stores and parking garage for the Girard Estate, northeast corner of 12th and Chestnut streets (Ballinger Co. and Harry Sternfeld, associated architects).
Photograph of perspective drawing, 1938.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Ballinger Collection (#4839).
Sternfeld had earlier worked with Ballinger on the Federal Court House and Post Office, two blocks to the east. For an earlier view showing the buildings of "Piano Row" on this site, see item C13a.

E5b. Executed design for stores and parking garage for the Girard Estate (built 1939-40, Ballinger Co., architect).
Photograph of perspective drawing, ca. 1939.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Ballinger Collection (#4895).

E6. South East Corner Twelfth and Locust Streets, Formerly an Oyster House -- Now (1914) Vacant.
Watercolor by J. Riegel, Jr., 1914.
Bryn Mawr College, gift of Joseph M. Fox, 1975.

E7. 1104-12 Walnut Street.
Photograph, 11 February 1927.
Philadelphia City Archives (1708/ #23837).
For an earlier view of the site, see item A3.

E8. The Inasmuch Mission, 1011-19 Locust Street (built 1913-14, Duhring, Okie & Ziegler, architects).
Photo-mechanical reproduction after watercolor by Frank H. Taylor, ca. 1920s.
Library Company of Philadelphia.
A mission described as being located "in the very heart of a district which has been for years felicitously known as "Hell's Half acre." It was described as the project of a bishop and an "ex-bum," materially aided by a $100,000 gift from Mrs. George Woodward, heiress to the Houston estate in Chestnut Hill.

E9. 1301-07 Pine Street.
Photograph, 11 October 1928.
Philadelphia City Archives (1221/ #18869).

E10. Juniper Building, office building under construction, southwest corner Juniper and Walnut streets (built 1921-22).
Photograph, 3 November 1921.
Philadelphia City Archives (833/ #17905).

E11. 1303-21 Locust Street.
Photograph, 12 September 1928.
Philadelphia City Archives (903/ #25408).

E12. 1304-10 Lombard Street.
Photograph, 17 Oct. 1913.
Philadelphia City Archives (923/ #7757).
For a later view of this site, see item E20.

E13. "What do you all want to do wif dat pixture tak'en contraption . . .," view, northwest corner of Jessup and Irving streets.
Gelatin silver print by George Mark Wilson, ca. 1923.
Library Company of Philadelphia, Gift of Mrs. Margaret O. Sweeney, 1979.
Wilson recorded his reply as: "madam, . . . we are interested in quaint old residences and beautiful women and desire to have the camera record both." He called the building "a good example of a skilled mechanics home . . . of 60 to 80 years ago."

E14. Basement bedroom, 1225 Pine Street.
Photograph, 4 September 1914.
Philadelphia City Archives (1220/ #9243).
Indexed at an early point under "tenements -- slums."

E15. Passage to houses within residential court, 1316 Lombard Street
Photograph, 27 February 1930.
Philadelphia City Archives (923/ #28290).

E16. South Street, looking east from 12th Street
Photograph, 30 April 1930.
Philadelphia City Archives (1476/ #28467).
The view offers a glimpse of the varied commercial life on the South Street, and includes the Standard Theater, a home to African-American entertainers and integrated audiences from the turn of the century until it closed in 1931.

VERTICAL CASE

E17. Garage, northwest corner Juniper and Locust streets (built 1949).
Photograph, 1959.
Philadelphia City Archives (903/ #7305).
For an earlier view of the site showing the Library Company's Furness-designed quarters, see item D4.

E18. Post-1950 Site Development, area map color-coded by building period (Historic Preservation Planning Studio, Graduate School of Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, December 1999).

E19a. Robert Russell Homes, 1201-13 Lombard Street (built 1962-63, Frank Weise, architect).
South elevation by Frank Weise.
Courtesy of Frank Weise, Philadelphia.

E19b. Robert Russell Homes, 1201-13 Lombard Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E19c. Robert Russell Homes, 1201-13 Lombard Street.
Typical plan by Frank Weise.
Courtesy of Frank Weise, Philadelphia.

E20. Casa Fermi, 1300 Lombard Street (built ca. 1964, Stonorov & Haws, architects) and The Carriage House, 1311 Lombard Street (built 1960s, Frank Weise, architect).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.
For earlier views of this site, see items C9 and E12.

E21. Horizon House, southeast corner 12th and Lombard streets (built ca. 1969, Francis, Cauffman, Wilkinson & Pepper, architects).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E22. Townhouses, 413-19 South 12th Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E23. Map of area, 1984.
Detail from Philadelphia, axonometric view of Center City by David A. Fox (Philadelphia, 1984).
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E24a. Townhouses, 206-10 South Sartain Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E24b. Townhouse, 1101 Lombard Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E24c. Slovic House, 244 South 12th Street (built 1992-95, David Slovic Associates, architects), view from northwest.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E24d. Houses, 1100-06 Rodman Street (built 1999-2000, Murphy Architectural Group, architect).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E24e. Duplexes, 1204-12 Locust Street.
Library Company of Philadelphia.
Photograph, January 2000.

E24f. Townhouses, 264-68 South 11th Street (Cecil Baker, architect).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E24g. Townhouses, 205-09 South Jessup Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.

E24h. Townhouses 1134-46 South Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia.


[Home] Next section: F. Plans: [Introductory text] [Exhibition items]
http://www.worldlynx.net/printroom/e.htm; Last revision 03/10/00. eb.