Instructions: For a small, quick-loadingpreview image that will appear at lower right, click on the smallsquare by the item number. The link following the identifying data willdisplay a full-screen view in a second browser window. For a moredetailed map, click on the part of the overall map that intersts you, andyou will see a more detailed mpa with hot spots in the left window, andthe pertinent captions for that part of the map in the right window. Youcan either use the caption window to preview and show full screen views,or use the colored hot spots onm the map to do the latter directly.
For best results, demaximize (resize) your browser windows and stagger themslightly, shifting this window slightly to the right, so that the full-screenimage viewing window will show to the left.


MARKET STREET

MARKET STREET to CHESTNUT STREET, East of 12th[1100 block]

I6. The House intended for the President of the United States, in NinthStreet Philadelphia, west side Ninth Street, above Chestnut (built 1792-97).
Hand-colored engraving by W. Birch & Son, (Philadelphia: R. Campbell,1799).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

Visible in the background is the Philadelphia almshouse, erected in theblock between 10th and 11th, Spruce to Pine in the 1760s.

I7. The John Dunlap House, southeast corner 12th and Market streets(built 1789).
Watercolor on canvas by John James Barralet, 1807.
Stephen Girard Collection, Girard College. [full-screen view]

Poplars were planted along Market Street from Eighth past Twelfth in1795, signaling a wished-for, tonier distinction in character from thatfurther east with its mid-street market sheds. Dunlap would sell the entireblock to Stephen Girard in 1807. For a later view of this site, see itemC16.

C12. "Domestic" and Grover & Baker Sewing Machines,store interior, 1111 Chestnut Street.
Albumen print stereograph by R. Newell & Son, ca. 1877.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

C13 a-f. The Baxter Panoramic Business Directory, engravings,1879-80.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (V37:31-36)

Published as advertising vehicles, these sheets were issued only fora few dozen blockfronts that were predominantly commercial. Non-subscribingstores would not have their names lettered onto their buildings.

C13a. 1100 block Chestnut Street, north side, Nov. 1879, no. 13. [full-screen view]

C16. Stores of the Girard Estate, cor. Market & 12th Sts. [southeastcorner].
Perspective after design by James H. Windrim, architect, from Builderand Decorator (Philadelphia), December 1888.
Bryn Mawr College, William A. Keely Collection, gift of John W. Freas, 1993.[full-screen view]

For an earlier view of the site, see item I7.

E5a. Preliminary design for stores and parking garage for the Girard Estate,northeast corner of 12th and Chestnut streets (Ballinger Co. and Harry Sternfeld,associated architects).
Photograph of perspective drawing, 1938.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Ballinger Collection (#4839). [full-screen view]

Sternfeld had earlier worked with Ballinger on the Federal Court Houseand Post Office, two blocks to the east. For an earlier view showing thebuildings of "Piano Row" on this site, see item C13a.

E5b. Executed design for stores and parking garage for the Girard Estate(built 1939-40, Ballinger Co., architect).
Photograph of perspective drawing, ca. 1939.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Ballinger Collection (#4895). [full-screen view]


1100 Block Chestnut toWalnut
A7. Hartman Kuhn residence, 1118 Chestnut St., FirstUnion League Club House, Feb. 1863 to May, 1865.
Watercolor by Frank H. Taylor, ca. 1910-20.
Bryn Mawr College, gift of Joseph M. Fox, 1975. [full-screen view]

A9. Antebellum mansions, 1107-11 Walnut Street.
Photograph, 18 April 1913.
Philadelphia City Archives (1708/ #6981). [full-screen view]

The upper facade of the mansion on the left is still visible today.

A10. South East corner of 12th & Chestnut.
Watercolor by David J. Kennedy, ca. 1867.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (K 1-50). [full-screen view]

A view taken just before the construction on this site of a marble-cladbuilding for S. S. White, a manufacturer of dental supplies (erected 1867-68to designs by Sloan & Hutton, architects). This is one of the few structuresreorded in the 1879-80 panoramic directory views for this part of ChestnutStreet (see item C13b) to be seen on the street today.

B2. Academy of Natural Sciences, southeast corner of 12th and Sansomstreets (built 1816 as Swedenborgian Church of the New Jerusalem, WilliamStrickland, architect).
Engraving by C. G. Childs from Childs, Views in Philadelphia and ItsEnvirons (Philadelphia, 1827-30).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

C10. Printing works and office, "Henry R. Ashmead, Book and Job Printer,. . . George Street above Eleventh" [1104 Sansom Street].
Engraving, ca. 1856.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

C13 a-f. The Baxter Panoramic Business Directory, engravings,1879-80.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (V37:31-36)

Published as advertising vehicles, these sheets were issued only fora few dozen blockfronts that were predominantly commercial. Non-subscribingstores would not have their names lettered onto their buildings.

C13b. 1100 block Chestnut Street, south side, Mar. 1880, no. 31. [full-screen view]


12th
MARKET STREET toCJHESTNUT STREET, West of 12th [1200 block]

A2. Gothic Mansion, Chesnut Street, 1217 Chestnut Street (built 1809-10,John Dorsey, architect).
Wood engraving by George Gilbert, from The Casket (Philadelphia)5, no. 10 (October, 1830).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

For a later view of the site, see item C11.

A11. North west corner of Chestnut and 12th Streets, showing, atleft, Boston Row (built 1830, John Haviland, architect).
Watercolor by David J. Kennedy, 1839.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (K 1-64). [full-screen view]

B1. Old Meeting house, 12th ab. Chestnut, W. side, Friends' 12thStreet Meeting House (built 1812-13).
Gelatin silver print by George Mark Wilson, ca. 1923.
Library Company of Philadelphia, Gift of Mrs. Margaret O. Sweeney, 1979.[full-screen view]

B3. St. John’s Church, Philadelphia, east side 13th above ChestnutStreet (built 1831-32, William Rodrigue, architect).
Colored lithograph by J. C. Wild, from Wild, Views of Philadelphia, andIts Vicinity (Philadelphia, 1838).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

This church was rebuilt along much the same lines in stone after a fireat the turn of the century.

C11. Concert Hall and Chestnut Street Theatre, Chestnut Street at Twelfth(north side), 1211-27 Chestnut Street.
Watercolor by Benjamin R. Evans, 1879.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

For earlier structures at this site, see items A2 and A11.

C13 a-f. The Baxter Panoramic Business Directory, engravings,1879-80.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (V37:31-36)

Published as advertising vehicles, these sheets were issued only fora few dozen blockfronts that were predominantly commercial. Non-subscribingstores would not have their names lettered onto their buildings.

C13c. 1200 block Chestnut Street, north side, Feb. 1880, no. 26. [full-screen view]

C15. Market Street, South West corner of 12th Street in 1841.
Watercolor by David J. Kennedy, 1841.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (K 2-98). [full-screen view]

For a later view of the site, see item E4.

E4. Philadelphia Savings Fund Society Building, 12 South 12th Street (built1930-32, Howe & Lescaze, architects).
Gelatin silver print by Harry S. Hood, ca. 1940.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]
For an earlier view of the site, see item C15.


1200 Block Chestnut to Walnut
C13a-f. The Baxter Panoramic Business Directory, engravings, 1879-80.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (V37:31-36)

Published as advertising vehicles, these sheets were issued only fora few dozen blockfronts that were predominantly commercial. Non-subscribingstores would not have their names lettered onto their buildings.

C13d. 1200 block Chestnut Street, south side, Apr. 1880, unnum. [full-screen view]

C21. S. E. cor 13th & Chestnut Sts., DeLong Building, 1232 ChestnutSt (built 1899-1900, Horace Trumbauer, architect).
Watercolor by E. R. Stoever, 1914.
Bryn Mawr College, gift of Joseph M. Fox, 1975. [full-screen view]

D10. "The New Century Club," 124 South 12th Street (built 1891,Minerva Parker Nichols, architect), in Frank H. Taylor, ed., The Cityof Philadelphia . . . prepared under the Auspices of the Trades Leagues(Philadelphia, 1900).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview] [full-screen view][full-screen view] [full-screen view]


13th
MARKET STREET toCHESTNUT STREET, West of 13th [1300 block]

A4. U.S. Mint, northwest corner of Chestnut and Juniper streets (built1829-33, William Strickland, architect).
Albumen print by Robert Newell, ca. 1870.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

For a later view of the site, see item C17.

B7. Old First High School House, Central High School, east side JuniperStreet, south of Market Street (built 1837-38, Thomas U. Walter, architect),view from Penn Square.
Calotype by Frederick DeBourg Richards, 1854.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

For a later view of the site, showing an early incarnation of Wanamaker'sstore, see item C17.

C13 a-f. The Baxter Panoramic Business Directory, engravings,1879-80.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (V37:31-36)

Published as advertising vehicles, these sheets were issued only fora few dozen blockfronts that were predominantly commercial. Non-subscribingstores would not have their names lettered onto their buildings.

C13e. 1300 block Chestnut Street, north side, Jan. 1880, no. 24. [full-screen view]

C17. John Wanamaker's Grand Depot, northwest corner 13th and Chestnutstreets (remodeled 1870s -1880s).
Lithograph, ca. 1884.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

For earlier buildings on this site, see items A4 and B7.


1300 Block Chestnut to Walnut
A6a.Parlor of Dundas-Lippincott mansion (built 1840-41, Thomas U. Walter, architect),northeast corner Broad and Walnut streets.
Albumen print by Frederick Gutekunst, ca. 1875.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

A6b. Dundas-Lippincott mansion, view from the northwest, showing grounds.
Albumen print by Frederick Gutekunst, ca. 1875.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

A6c. Front Elevation, Jas. Dundas Mansion, northeast corner Broadand Walnut streets (built 1840-41, Thomas U. Walter, architect).
Ink and watercolor on paper by Joseph C. Koecker, 1841.
Art Department, Free Library of Philadelphia. [full-screen view]

A6d. Dundas-Lippincott mansion, ground-floor plan.
Ink and watercolor on paper.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia (WTU*022*001). [full-screen view]

A21a. 1302-14 Drury Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

A21b. Fire insurance survey of two dwellings south side Diamond Street,west of 13th [1300 block Drury Street, south side], for Thomas Kelly, 5November 1831 (photoreproduction).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 0: 389). [full-screenview]

C13 a-f. The Baxter Panoramic Business Directory, engravings,1879-80.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (V37:31-36)

Published as advertising vehicles, these sheets were issued only fora few dozen blockfronts that were predominantly commercial. Non-subscribingstores would not have their names lettered onto their buildings.

C13f. 1300 block Chestnut Street, south side, Feb. 1880, no. 29. [full-screen view]

C20. The Lucas Building, Philadelphia, Willis G. Hale, architect,1326 Chestnut Street (built 1887-88).
Photograph from Architectural Era (Philadelphia), October 1889.
Bryn Mawr College, William A. Keely Collection, gift of John W. Freas, 1993.[full-screen view]

Tastes changed quickly in the nineteenth century. Within a decade of thisbuilding's completion, it was lambasted in the national architectural pressas an "architectural abberation," and ascribed to an architectfor whom historical architecture was "a field not for study, but forpillage."

D1. The Philadelphia Club, 1301 Walnut Street (built 1837-38 as the ThomasButler residence).
Gelatin silver print by John R. Wells, ca. 1952.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]


WALNUT STREET

WALNUT STREET to LOCUST STREET, East of 12th [1100block]:

A3. South East Corner of Walnut and Quince Streets, Formerly the Davis& Harvey Auction House -- now (1914) Vacant, 1112 Walnut Street.
Watercolor by J. Riegel, Jr., 1914.
Bryn Mawr College, gift of Joseph M. Fox, 1975. [full-screen view]
For a later view of the site, see item E7.

B9. Fire insurance survey of St Thomas African Episcopal Church, 203-09 South 12th Street (built 1889-90, T. Frank Miller, architect), 18 December 1890.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 0: 70044). [full-screenview]

B17. Locust Street School, northeast corner 12th and Locust streets (built1827-28).
Franklin D. Edmunds, The Public School Buildings of the City of Philadelphiafrom 1745-1845 (Philadelphia, 1913).
Library Company of Philadelphia.[full-screenview]

This site is also glimpsed in a coeval watercolor, item E6.

E2. Western Union, 1103-13 Locust Street (built 1922, W. Welles Bosworth,architect).
Gelatin silver print, ca. 1930.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Dillon Collection (photo #460). [full-screen view]

A handsomely proportioned and boldly detailed building by the company'sBoston-based architect. In the previous decade, Bosworth had designed themain campus for the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, his alma mater.After World War I he led the restoration efforts on several of the mostfamous French cathedrals and palaces.

E7. 1104-12 Walnut Street.
Photograph, 11 February 1927.
Philadelphia City Archives (1708/ #23837). [full-screen view]

For an earlier view of the site, see item A3.

E8. The Inasmuch Mission, 1011-19 Locust Street (built 1913-14, Duhring,Okie & Ziegler, architects).
Photo-mechanical reproduction after watercolor by Frank H. Taylor, ca. 1920s.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

A mission described as being located "in the very heart of a districtwhich has been for years felicitously known as "Hell's Half acre."It was described as the project of a bishop and an "ex-bum," materiallyaided by a $100,000 gift from Mrs. George Woodward, heiress to the Houstonestate in Chestnut Hill.


1100 Block Locust to Spruce
A14. Southeast corner of Twelfth and Locust Streets.
Watercolor by Benjamin R. Evans, 1883.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

A22a. 251-53 South Quince Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

A22b. Fire insurance survey of four dwellings, 251-53 South Quince Streetand 234-36 Prosperous Alley [South Jessup Street], for James Gray, 5 November1866 (photoreproduction).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 239: 34312). [full-screenview]

C1. Northeast corner of Twelfth and Spruce Street.
Watercolor by Benjamin R. Evans, 1883.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

C3. Fire insurance survey of livery stable, southwest corner 11th and Charlottestreets [220 South 11th Street, sw corner St. James Street] for RichardPark, 22 July 1854 (photoreproduction).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 155: 20967). [full-screenview]

D16. Houses on Spruce St., Philadelphia, Brown & Day, archts.,1101-15 Spruce Street (built 1889 for Alan H. Reed).
Perspective after photograph from American Architect and Building News31 (7 February 1891).
Bryn Mawr College, William A. Keely Collection, gift of John W. Freas, 1993.[full-screen view]

E6. South East Corner Twelfth and Locust Streets, Formerly an OysterHouse -- Now (1914) Vacant.
Watercolor by J. Riegel, Jr., 1914.
Bryn Mawr College, gift of Joseph M. Fox, 1975. [full-screen view]

E13. "What do you all want to do wif dat pixture tak'en contraption. . .," view, northwest corner of Jessup and Irving streets.
Gelatin silver print by George Mark Wilson, ca. 1923.
Library Company of Philadelphia, Gift of Mrs. Margaret O. Sweeney, 1979.[full-screen view]

Wilson recorded his reply as: "madam, . . . we are interested inquaint old residences and beautiful women and desire to have the camerarecord both." He called the building "a good example of a skilledmechanics home . . . of 60 to 80 years ago."

E24a. Townhouses, 206-10 South Sartain Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

E24f. Townhouses, 264-68 South 11th Street (Cecil Baker, architect).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

E24g. Townhouses, 205-09 South Jessup Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

G16. 224-28 South Jessup Street.
Photograph, February 2000. [full-screenview]



WALNUT STREET to LOCUST STREET, West of 12th [1200block]

D3. The College of Physicians, northeast corner 13th and Locust Streets(built 1862-63, James H. Windrim, architect; altered mid-1880s by T. P Chandler,architect).
Albumen print, ca. 1885.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

The site is now a surface parking lot.

A1. Plat of the lot between Locust and Spruce, 13th and [Camac] streets.
Pencil, ink, and watercolor on paper, ca. 1810-20?
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (Of 609a). [full-screen view]

A17a. Fire insurance survey of dwelling, 1203 Spruce Street for Henry Cash,26 May 1858.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 13: 7236). [full-screenview]

A17b. Row of houses, 1203-13 Spruce Street (part of "Dugan's Row,"1201-17 Spruce Street, built ca. 1822-29).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]


1200 Block Locust to Spruce
C2a. Southeastcorner 13th and Locust streets.
Photograph, 10 November 1917.
Philadelphia City Archives (902/ #3795). [full-screen view]

C2b. Fire insurance survey of store and dwelling, southeast corner 13thand Locust, for Thomas R. Patton, 8 August 1854 (photoreproduction).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 155: 21018). [full-screenview]

D9a. Fire insurance survey of Faires Classical Institute, 238-40 South CamacStreet, for John W. Faires, 23 August 1854.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 0: 24347). [full-screenview]

D9b. 238-40 South Camac Street
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

D12. Frank H. Taylor, Poor Richard’s Dictionary of Philadelphia(Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott Company, 1916), with view of club, 239-41South Camac Street.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

D21. Lincoln Apartments, 1222 Locust Street (built ca. 1892-93, George H.Fettus, architect).
Photograph, 10 January 1917.
Philadelphia City Archives (902/ #3794-T). [full-screen view]

E24c. Slovic House, 244 South 12th Street (built 1992-95, David Slovic Associates,architects), view from northwest.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

E24e. Duplexes, 1204-12 Locust Street.
Library Company of Philadelphia.
Photograph, January 2000. [full-screenview]



WALNUT STREET to LOCUST STREET, West of 13th [1300block]

A12a. Mid-19th-century townhouses, 1301-09 Locust Street.
Photograph, 14 December 1916.
Philadelphia City Archives (903/ #3555-T). [full-screen view]

A12b. Fire insurance survey of dwelling, 1305 Locust Street for John McCrea,16 November 1850 (photoreproduction).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 100: 12741). [full-screenview]

B5a. Universalist Church of the Messiah, 1319-21 Locust Street (built 1850-51,Thomas U. Walter, architect).
Albumen print, ca. 1885.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania. [full-screenview]

For a later view showing the extant townhouses on this site, see item D15.

B5b. Universalist Church of the Messiah, interior.
Albumen print, ca. 1885.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania. [full-screenview]

D4. Library Company of Philadelphia, northwest corner Juniper and Locuststreets (built 1879-80, Frank Furness, architect).
Perspective, ink and watercolor on paper, ca. 1879.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

For a later view of the site, see item E17.

D15. Clarence B. Moore house, 1321 Locust Street (built 1890, Wilson Eyre,architect) and Dr. Joseph Leidy house, 1319 Locust Street (built 1893-94,Wilson Eyre, architect).
Perspective and plans by Eyre reproduced in American Architect and BuildingNews 32 (2 June 1894).
Bryn Mawr College, William A. Keely Collection, gift of John W. Freas, 1993.[full-screen view]

For an earlier view with the church on this site, see item B5a.

D17. 1309-15 Locust Street (including 1313 Locust Street, built 1897 asthe C. B. Newbold house, Frank Miles Day & Bro., architects).
Photograph, 14 December 1916.
Philadelphia City Archives (903/ #3554-T). [full-screen view]

D18. House for Mr. C. B. Moore, W. Eyre Jr Architect, House for Dr Jos.Leidy. W Eyre Jr Arch., House for Mr. C B. Newbold, F. M. Day + Bro Arch,northeast corner Juniper and Locust streets.
Aerial perspective by Wilson Eyre, 1898.
Pencil and watercolor on gray paper.
Art Department, Free Library of Philadelphia. [full-screen view]

E1a. Architectural office for Mellor & Meigs, 207 S. Juniper Street(built 1912, Mellor & Meigs, architects).
Gelatin silver print, ca. 1912.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Mellor & Meigs Collection. [full-screen view]

In 1906 Walter Mellor and Arthur Meigs founded a firm that soon becamea favorite for work in Philadelphia's elite suburbs. Their gracefully composedbuildings were often informed by an anglophilic medievalism, but at thesame time by an appreciation for the broad textures and large parts thatdefined a species of early modernism. From 1916 they were joined by GeorgeHowe, who left the firm in 1928 and began to work with a different notionof modernism (see item E4).

E1b. Mellor & Meigs office, drafting room.
Gelatin silver print, ca. 1912.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Mellor & Meigs Collection. [full-screen view]

E10. Juniper Building, office building under construction, southwest cornerJuniper and Walnut streets (built 1921-22).
Photograph, 3 November 1921.
Philadelphia City Archives (833/ #17905). [full-screen view]

E11. 1303-21 Locust Street.
Photograph, 12 September 1928.
Philadelphia City Archives (903/ #25408). [full-screen view]

E17. Garage, northwest corner Juniper and Locust streets (built 1949).
Photograph, 1959.
Philadelphia City Archives (903/ #7305). [full-screen view]

For an earlier view of the site showing the Library Company's Furness-designedquarters, see item D4.


1300 Block Locust to Spruce
A8. Southwestcorner Thirteenth and Locust Street, General Patterson's Mansion (built1832-36 for John Hare Powel, William Strickland, architect).
Watercolor by Benjamin R. Evans, Oct. 1882.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

For a slightly later view of the building adapted for use as the HistoricalSociety of Pennsylvania, see item D5.

B4. Elevation, St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Church, west side13th Street above Pine (built 1839-40, Thomas S. Stewart, architect).
Elevation by Stewart, 14 June 1839.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia (STW *004 *003). [full-screen view]

The caption indicates that the steeple was excluded from the agreed-upondesign.

C18a. Hotel Walton, Philadelphia, Pa., 233-47 South Broad Street(built 1893-95, Angus Wade, architect).
Gelatin silver print by Byron, 1908.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

C18b. Lobby, Hotel Walton, Phila, Pa.
Gelatin silver print by Byron, 1908.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

D2. Episcopal Academy, 1324 Locust Street (built 1849-50, John Notman, architect).
Photograph, 10 January 1917.
Philadelphia City Archives (904/ #3798-T).[full-screen view]

Shortly later the site of the Hotel Sylvania; see item D22.

D5. Historical Society of Pennsylvania, 1300 Locust Street (built 1832-36as Powel mansion, added to and adapted, 1883, Addison Hutton, architect).
Photograph, ca. 1885.
Philadelphia City Archives (903/ #11512). [full-screen view]
For an earlier view of the site, see item A8.

D13. Victorian townhouses, 1314-22 Locust Street.
Photograph, 10 January 1917.
Philadelphia City Archives (904/ #3797-T). [full-screen view]
For a later view of this site, see item F1.

D22. Hotel Sylvania, 1324 Locust Street (built 1922, Leroy B. Rothschild,architect).
Photograph, ca. 1948.
Athenaeum of Philadelphia, Dillon Collection (photo #223). [full-screen view]

For an earlier view of the site, showing Episcopal Academy, see itemD2.

F1. Preliminary design of new Library Company of Philadelphia building,1314 Locust Street (built 1965, Carroll, Grisdale, and van Alen, architects).
Photograph of perspective by Earle Oakes, April 1964.
Library Company of Philadelphia.[full-screenview]

For an earlier view of the site, see item D13.

F2. Townhouses, 1320-22 Locust Street.
Photograph, 29 June 1927.
Philadelphia City Archives (904/ #16855).[full-screen view]

The Locust Street townhouses to the west of the Patterson mansion, itselfpurchased by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania in October 1883, wereall built on lots sold that same year by Francis Stokes, a lumber merchant.1320 Locust was the first to rise. It was erected for J. Gardner Cassatt(1849-1911), who had married Jennie Carter of Virginia in October 1882.
Although there is no definitive documentation, both style and patronagestrongly suggest that this was a design by Furness & Evans, who weremore certainly responsible for the house next door, built for Furness'solder sister Annis and her husband, Caspar Wister. Cassatt family memberswere long-time clients of Furness, who in 1880 had altered the family seat,Cheswold.

Late in 1886 the Cassatts moved closer to Rittenhouse Square, and the housewas altered in 1901 by architect Joseph Huston, but it received relativelyfew changes over the years since. It was purchased by the Library Companyin 1967.

F4. Proposed changes to 1320 Locust Street, plans (Becker Winston Architects,1999).
Courtesy of Becker Winston Architects [full-screen view]

F5. Proposed changes to 1320 Locust Street, reception area, ground floor,perspective, tinted (Becker Winston Architects, 1999).
Courtesy of Becker Winston Architects. [full-screen view]

F6. Proposed changes to 1320 Locust Street, longitudinal section, tinted(Becker Winston Architects, 1999).
Courtesy of Becker Winston Architects [full-screen view]

F7. Late 19th- and early 20th-century artifacts found at 1320 Locust Street,1999.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]


SPRUCE STREET
SPRUCESTREET to PINE STREET, East of 12th [1100 block]

A18a. Row of houses, 1104-14 Spruce Street (part of "Linden Place,"1100-14 Spruce Street, built ca. 1832-38, Thomas U. Walter, architect).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]
For an earlier view of these houses, see item D6.

A18b. Fire insurance survey of dwelling, 1102 Spruce Street, for MorganAsh, 25 June 1833.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 0: 682). [full-screenview]

C5a. Fire insurance survey of tavern, northwest corner Pine and Quince streets[1127 Pine Street], for Abram McKeal, 18 June 1831.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 0: 303). [full-screenview]

C5b. Northwest corner Pine and Quince streets.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

C8. Fire insurance survey of tavern, 1105-15 Pine Street, for James Stroud,19 November 1852 (photoreproduction)
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 130: 17024). [full-screenview]

This site later accommodated the Gladstone Apartments; see item D19.

C23. Meade's Antiques, 1117-19 Pine Street (built 1850 as public school,with front stairway tower added in 1893).
Photograph, 25 September 1958.
Philadelphia City Archives (1219/ #36259). [full-screen view]

D6. Elizabeth Robins Pennell, Our Philadelphia (Philadelphia: J.P.Lippincott Company, 1914), with lithographed view of Edward Robins house,1110 Spruce Street, by Joseph Pennell.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

See also items A18a and A18b.

D11. Mask & Wig Club, 310 South Quince Street (built 1834 as St. Paul'sEvangelical Lutheran Church, adapted by Wilson Eyre, architect, for club,1894-1901), interior.
Gelatin silver print by Photo-Illustrators, ca. 1934.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

D19. Apartment House, 11th & Pine Sts., Gladstone Apartments,1101 Pine Street (built 1889-90, Theophilus P. Chandler, architect).
Perspective from Builder, Decorator, and Woodworker (January 1890).
Bryn Mawr College, William A. Keely Collection, gift of John W. Freas, 1993.[full-screen view]

Upon completion, this building was amply represented in Philadelphia'ssocial directories as an elite address. For the site's earlier use, seeitem C8. It is now the site of Louis Kahn Park.


1100 Block Pine to South
A20a. Row ofhouses, 1110-18 Pine Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

A20b. Fire insurance survey of row of ten dwellings, 1100-18 Pine Street,for Israel Van Horn, 8 July 1850 (photoreproduction).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 93: 11936). [full-screenview]

A24a. 1134 Waverly Street
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

This array of smaller houses was built at the rear of MacBride's townhousefacing Lombard Street (item A25a).

A24b. Fire insurance survey of four dwellings and stable, 1134 Waverly Street,for Andrew MacBride, 6 November 1832 (photoreproduction).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 0: 608). [full-screenview]

A25a. 1133 Lombard Street
Photograph, February 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

A25b. Fire insurance survey of dwelling, Lombard Street, fourth house eastof 12th Street [1133 Lombard Street], for Andrew MacBride, 21 August 1833.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 0: 826). [full-screenview]

E22. Townhouses, 413-19 South 12th Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

E24b. Townhouse, 1101 Lombard Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

G10. View from Quince and Waverly streets, looking south.
Photograph, February 2000. [full-screenview]

B11a. 1112-18 Lombard Street (Former church adapted to residential use asWashington Mews, Frank Weise, architect, 1960s).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

B11b. Fire insurance survey of Protestant Episcopal Church of the Ascension,1112-18 Lombard Street (built 1834-36 as All Souls' P. E. Church, ThomasU. Walter, architect), 4 October 1836, resurveyed 3 October 1891 as ShilohBaptist Church.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 0: 1662). [full-screenview] [full-screen view]

E21. Horizon House, southeast corner 12th and Lombard streets (built ca.1969, Francis, Cauffman, Wilkinson & Pepper, architects).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

E24d. Houses, 1100-06 Rodman Street (built 1999-2000, Murphy ArchitecturalGroup, architect).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

E24h. Townhouses 1134-46 South Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

G9. View from 11th and Rodman streets, looking northwest.
Photograph, February 2000. [full-screenview]


SPRUCE STREET to PINE STREET, Westof 12th [1200 block]

A26a. Fire insurance survey of dwelling, "west side of Truxton Street,in the rear of house no. 23 Perry Street" [318 South Fawn Street],for Charles Williams, 21 June 1834.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 0: 979). [full-screenview]

A26b. 318 South Fawn Street
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]
The house's exterior today accords almost precisely with its form as describedmore than a century and a half earlier.

C22. Antique Store, Pine Street E. of 13th St., "The Old CuriosityShop" of James Eham, 1237 Pine Street.
Gelatin silver print by George Mark Wilson, ca. 1923.
Library Company of Philadelphia, Gift of Mrs. Margaret O. Sweeney, 1979.[full-screen view]

E14. Basement bedroom, 1225 Pine Street.
Photograph, 4 September 1914.
Philadelphia City Archives (1220/ #9243). [full-screen view]

Indexed at an early point under "tenements -- slums."


1200 Block Pine to South
A13. Row ofhouses, 1237-47 Lombard Street (built ca. 1829).
Photograph, 2 March 1959.
Philadelphia City Archives (922/ #37470). [full-screen view]

Similar in appearance to the elite rowhouses of Spruce and Walnut streets,these houses are narrower, and the fashionable lintels with inset circlesare rendered here in wood rather than marble. For an earlier view of thecorner house, see item C4a.

C4a. Store or tavern, northeast corner 13th and Lombard streets.
Photograph, 1928.
Philadelphia City Archives (922/ #18829). [full-screen view]

C4b. Houses, northeast corner 13th and Lombard streets.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

Note the nearly complete erasure of traces of the former store.

C7. Frank Meehan grocery, southeast corner 13th and Pine streets.
Photograph, 3 October 1928.
Philadelphia City Archives (1220/ #18835). [full-screen view]

E19a. Robert Russell Homes, 1201-13 Lombard Street (built 1962-63, FrankWeise, architect).
South elevation by Frank Weise.
Courtesy of Frank Weise, Philadelphia. [full-screen view]

E19b. Robert Russell Homes, 1201-13 Lombard Street.
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

E19c. Robert Russell Homes, 1201-13 Lombard Street.
Typical plan by Frank Weise.
Courtesy of Frank Weise, Philadelphia. [full-screen view]

A23. Fire insurance survey of five dwellings, northwest corner 12th andCedar streets [1201-11 South Street], for Griffith Evans, 26 April 1836.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Franklin Fire Insurance Co. Records(policy 0: 1514). [full-screenview]

B10. St. Peter Claver's Roman Catholic Church, 1200 Lombard Street (built1841 as Fourth Presbyterian Church, Thomas U. Walter, architect).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

This church was rededicated in 1892 for an African-American Catholic congregation.


SPRUCE STREET to PINE STREET, Westof 13th [1300 block]

E9. 1301-07 Pine Street.
Photograph, 11 October 1928.
Philadelphia City Archives (1221/ #18869). [full-screen view]


1300 Block Pine to South
G15. Southwestcorner 13th and Pine streets.
Photograph, February 2000. [full-screenview]

C9. 7th Ward Central Hotel, 1300 Lombard Street.
Albumen print on cardboard, ca. 1886.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

For a later view of the site, see item E20.

E12. 1304-10 Lombard Street.
Photograph, 17 Oct. 1913.
Philadelphia City Archives (923/ #7757). [full-screen view]

For a later view of this site, see item E20.

E15. Passage to houses within residential court, 1316 Lombard Street
Photograph, 27 February 1930.
Philadelphia City Archives (923/ #28290). [full-screen view]

E16. South Street, looking east from 12th Street
Photograph, 30 April 1930.
Philadelphia City Archives (1476/ #28467). [full-screen view]

The view offers a glimpse of the varied commercial life on the SouthStreet, and includes the Standard Theater, a home to African-American entertainersand integrated audiences from the turn of the century until it closed in1931.

E20. Casa Fermi, 1300 Lombard Street (built ca. 1964, Stonorov & Haws,architects) and The Carriage House, 1311 Lombard Street (built 1960s, FrankWeise, architect).
Photograph, January 2000.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]
For earlier views of this site, see items C9 and E12.


GENERAL VIEWS

I3. Panorama of Philadelphia, From the State House Steeple, West.
Lithograph by John C. Wild, from Wild, Views of Philadelphia, and itsVicinity (Philadelphia, 1838).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

I4. Aerial view of Center City, Philadelphia, looking northwest from nearNinth and Pine streets.
Modern print from glass plate negative by Aero Service Corporation, ca.1935.
Library Company of Philadelphia (8990.4390). [full-screen view]

C19. View of Philadelphia from City Hall, looking South.
Gelatin silver print by William H. Rau, 1894.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]


MAPS

I5. Map of area, 1794.
Detail from Plan of the City and Suburbs of Philadelphia…, engravingafter surveys by A.P. Folie (Philadelphia, 1794).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

I1. Plan of the City of Philadelphia and its Environs,…
Engraving after surveys by John Hills, 1796 (London: John & Josiah Boydell,1798).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

I2. Philadelphia.
Axonometric view of Center City by David A. Fox (Philadelphia, 1984).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

A5. Map of area, 1830.
Detail from Plan of the city of Philadelphia and adjoining districts…,engraving after surveys by W. Allen (Philadelphia: H. S. Tanner, 1830).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania. [full-screenview]
A key to this map was published as a pamphlet by H. S. Tanner, titled Indexto the New Plan of Philadelphia and Adjoining Districts (Philadelphia,1830). Numbered items on this part of the map were identified as:

2. Academy of Natural Sciences
350. 10th Presbyterian Church
284. Sansom Street Baptist Church Burial Ground
117. 12th Street Meeting House
152. Horse Market
340. State Armory
199. Medical Society's Hall
257. Prosperous Alley
263. Locust Street Public School
359. Tin Alley
282. Salem Methodist Episcopal Church
106. 4th Presbyterian Church Burial Ground
10. Associate Presbyterian Church Burial Ground
330. St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church Burial Ground
 

A15. Map of area, 1849.
Detail from Map of the City of Philadelphia, Together with All the SurroundingDistricts…, colored lithograph, after surveys by J.C. Sidney (Philadelphia:Smith & Wistar, 1849).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

A key to the map was printed along its left edge. Numbered items on thispart of the map were identified as:

57. Presbyterian Church
49. Catholic Church
24. First Independent Church
64. Presbyterian Church
28. St. Luke's Protestant Episcopal Church
50. Baptist Church
[6]9. Methodist Episcopal Church
26. Presbyterian Church
27. Protestant Episcopal Church

A16.Map of area, 1862.
Photocomposite from Samuel E. Smedley, Smedley’s Atlas of the Cityof Philadelphia… (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1862),section 4.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

B6. Map of area, 1874.
Photocomposite from G. H. Jones & Co, Atlas of Philadelphia in FifteenVolumes, Vol. 1 (Philadelphia, 1874), plate 6, and Volume 2 (Philadelphia,1875), plate 6.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

 

B8. Detail of "The Seventh Ward of Philadelphia, The Distribution ofNegro Inhabitants Throughout the Ward, and their social condition."
From W. E. B. Du Bois, The Philadelphia Negro: A Social Study (Philadelphia,1899).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

C14. Map of area, 1885.
Photocomposite from George W. and Walter S. Bromley, Atlas of the Cityof Philadelphia, Volume 1, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th & 10th Wards(Philadelphia: G.W. Bromley & Co., 1885), plates I, J, K, N, O, P.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

D20. Map of area, 1908.
Photocomposite from George W. and Walter S. Bromley, Atlas of the Cityof Philadelphia: Central Business Property 5th…6th…7th…8th...9th…10th…&15th… Wards (Philadelphia: G.W. Bromley & Co., 1908), plates9, 10, and 11.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

E3. Map of area, 1930.
Photocomposite from Elvino V. Smith. Atlas of the 5th to 10th Wards ofthe City of Philadelphia… (Philadelphia, 1927 [rev. 1930]), plates9-11, 14-16.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

E18. Post-1950 Site Development, area map color-coded by buildingperiod (Historic Preservation Planning Studio, Graduate School of Fine Arts,University of Pennsylvania, December 1999). [full-screen view]

E23. Map of area, 1984.
Detail from Philadelphia, axonometric view of Center City by DavidA. Fox (Philadelphia, 1984).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

G1. Site Development, area map color-coded by building period (HistoricPreservation Planning Studio, Graduate School of Fine Arts, University ofPennsylvania, December 1999). [full-screenview]

G2. Building Cornice Height, color-coded area map (Historic PreservationPlanning Studio, Graduate School of Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania,December 1999). [full-screenview]

G3. Surface Parking Lots, Vacant Lots, and Vacant Buildings, color-codedarea map (Historic Preservation Planning Studio, Graduate School of FineArts, University of Pennsylvania, December 1999). [full-screen view]

G4. Historic Marker Program, area map color-coded to sites of proposedhistoric markers (Historic Preservation Planning Studio, Graduate Schoolof Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, December 1999). [full-screen view]

G5. Current Zoning, color-coded area map (Historic Preservation PlanningStudio, Graduate School of Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, December1999). [full-screen view]

G7. Current Use, area map color-coded by land use (Historic PreservationPlanning Studio, Graduate School of Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania,December 1999). [full-screenview]


NO LOCATION:

A19. Plans, sections, and elevations for an unidentified city house, ca.1810-30.
Pencil, ink, and watercolor on paper.
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (Bb 615 R727a [Am 8898]). [full-screen view] [full-screen view]

B12. "... a correct List of the White Male Taxable Inhabitants of theSeventh Ward ... for 1861," broadsheet(s) cut up and pasted into anunrelated 1861 publication.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

B13. Committee to Visit the Colored People, "Census facts Collectedby Benjamin C. Bacon And Charles Gardner," ms., 4 vols., 1838, vol.3, "Census B.C.B. no. 1."
Historical Society of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Abolition Society Papers.[full-screen view]

B14. R. R. Wright, Jr., comp., The Philadelphia Colored Directory, 1908(Philadelphia, 1908).
Historical Society of Pennsylvania (Wa 028V). [full-screen view]

B15. W. E. B. Du Bois, The Philadelphia Negro: A Social Study (Philadelphia,1899).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

B16. "Businesses Conducted by Colored People in Philadelphia,"in Armstrong Association of Philadelphia, The Negro in Business in Philadelphia(Philadelphia, 1917).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

B18. Philadelphia Society for Organizing Charity, Second Annual Reportof the Seventh Ward Association of the Philadelphia Society for OrganizingCharity…. (Philadelphia, 1880).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

C6. A Guide to the Stranger, or Pocket Companion for the Fancy, Containinga List of the Gay Houses and the Ladies Of Pleasure in the City of BrotherlyLove and Sisterly Affection (Philadelphia, 1849).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

D7. Philadelphia Red Book: A Directory for 1878 (Philadelphia: Mason& Co., 1878).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

D8. Philadelphia West End Visiting Directory (Philadelphia: Collins,printer, 1878).
Library Company of Philadelphia.[full-screenview]

The pages displayed show addresses on Spruce Street.

D14. Boyd’s Blue Book: the Fashionable Private Address Directory….(Philadelphia: C.E. Howe Co., 1885).
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

F3. A.J. Cassatt and others at the Cassatt Estate, "Cheswold,"Haverford, PA.
Platinum print by William H. Rau, ca. 1900.
Library Company of Philadelphia. [full-screenview]

G6a. ModelOrdinance for an Urban Conservation District, 12th and 13th Street Corridor(Historic Preservation Planning Studio, Graduate School of Fine Arts, Universityof Pennsylvania, December 1999). [full-screenview]

G6b. CommunityAwareness Kit, model pamphlet describing neighborhood history and resourcesfor community improvement efforts (Historic Preservation Planning Studio,Graduate School of Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, December 1999).[full-screen view]

G8a. Area CensusAnalysis, 1990 (Historic Preservation Planning Studio, Graduate School ofFine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, December 1999). [full-screen view]

G8b. Map showing census block group sampled, census of 1990. [full-screen view]

G11. Area Census Analysis, 1850-1990, Ethnicity (Historic Preservation PlanningStudio, Graduate School of Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, December1999). [full-screen view]

G12. Area CensusAnalysis, 1920 (Historic Preservation Planning Studio, Graduate School ofFine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, December 1999). [full-screen view]

G13. Map showing seven sites sampled, censuses of 1880 and 1920.[full-screen view]
U.S. census data varies from decade to decade in the types of informationgathered, in geographical specificity, and in forms of aggregation. The1850 census, for example, does not provide addresses, so a random sampledrawn from twenty consecutive pages in the city's Spruce Ward was examined.The Spruce Ward extended from 7th to 16th and Spruce to Lombard streets(although a check on some addresses in city directories suggests some loosenessin the polling area). For the 1880 and 1920 census, seven specific siteswere sampled ranging across the more residential part of the site. Privacydictates that specific data about individual households is not availablefrom the 1990 census. The smallest entity for which data was provided isthe census block group. The map accompanying the 1990 data shows the boundariesof the census block groups chosen for this most recent sampling.

G14. Area CensusAnalysis, 1880 (Historic Preservation Planning Studio, Graduate School ofFine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, December 1999). [full-screen view]

G17a. AreaCensus Analysis, 1850 (Historic Preservation Planning Studio, Graduate Schoolof Fine Arts, University of Pennsylvania, December 1999). [full-screen view]

G17b. Map showing Spruce Ward, census of 1850. [full-screen view]


[Home] http://www.brynmawr.edu/iconog/washw/geo.htm; Last revision 13 Feb. 04 jc