What to Do If You Are Injured at Work

Workers Compensation Coverage

Work-related injuries and illnesses are covered by workers’ compensation insurance, and require you to follow the steps below to qualify for medical and lost wage coverage. Please contact Environmental Health & Safety (EHS) at extension 5166 or dabramow@brynmawr.edu if you have any questions or need more information.

Serious Injury or Illness

Call Public Safety at extension 7911 for emergency treatment and transport. (Employees should not drive themselves or each other to the Emergency Room.)
Examples: fracture, severe cuts/cuts that might need stitches, chest pain, breathing difficulty, concussion, sprain/strain that prevents walking, chemical in eye.

Non-emergency Injury or Illness

Notify your supervisor as soon as possible. The employee or supervisor contacts Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) at x 5166 (or page via Public Safety) to arrange an appointment with a health care provider listed on the College’s Panel of Designated Workers’ Compensation Medical Care Providers.
Examples: Back or muscle strain, minor cuts that aren’t healing well, sprains, bruises, repetitive motion injuries, persistent soreness after minor injury.
Employees can often be seen by a panel member the same day.

When in Doubt or if care is required outside of regular business hours, go to the nearest emergency room.

Injury Report

Complete and submit the Report of Work Related Injury or Illness form as soon as possible.

Rights and Responsibilities

(Briefly summarized. Contact EHS for further details.)

  • EHS will coordinate follow-up care as needed through a designated panel provider, chosen by the employee from the list. Employees must treat with a panel provider for the first 90 days of care. If not completely recovered in 90 days, employees may treat with any licensed medical care provider of their choice.
  • After treatment, as determined by the care provider, the employee may be:
    • - Released to full duty.
    • - Required to stay home for some period of days.
    • - Released to return to work with restrictions.
  • Departments must attempt to accommodate temporary work restrictions. When restrictions cannot be accommodated within the department, temporary assignment to work elsewhere on campus will be arranged if the College can accommodate the restriction.
  • Employees are permitted to attend work-related medical appointments on work time. Hours should be recorded as “WC” on time cards.
  • Employees who are out of work more than seven (7) calendar days are entitled to workers compensation disability payments during their absence when authorized by the treating physician. Compensation payments will be arranged by EHS and paid by the College’s workers compensation insurance company.