A majority of Bryn Mawr courses are semester long courses. Drops and adds are permitted until the Wednesday of the second week of classes (Confirmation of Registration). If a student is carrying 5 semester long courses, the student can drop a fifth class until the end of the third week of classes. Any drops that occur outside of these deadlines are considered withdrawals and will result in a WD on the student's transcript.
Quarter Classes, also called, Focus Courses, are a half-semester in length and worth 0.5 units of credit. Many focus courses are at the introductory level. Focus courses allow students to gain greater flexibility in their schedule and they can explore more disciplines in a single semester.
1. Quarter-long classes can be used for distribution requirements. Two quarter-long classes that fulfill the same requirement (in the same or in different departments, taken in the same or in different semesters) can stand in for one semester-long class.
2. As much as possible, students should preregister for both first and second quarter classes during preregistration or at the beginning of the semester.
3. If necessary, lotteries will be held after preregistration, just as with other classes.
4. If space is available, students may add quarter long courses in the first week of each quarter: i.e., the first week of the semester and the eighth week of the semester.
5. Students may drop quarter long courses up through Wednesday of the second week of each quarter: i.e., the first week of the semester and the ninth week of the semester. Course drops after this date may result in a withdrawal. For the specific dates applicable each semester, please refer to the academic calendar.
6. The credit-no credit deadline for quarter courses is Friday at 5pm of the third week of each quarter: i.e., the third week of the semester and the 10th week of semester. For the specific dates applicable each semester, please refer to the academic calendar.
360° is a new interdisciplinary experience that engages several aspects of a topic or theme, giving students an opportunity to investigate thoroughly and thoughtfully a range of perspectives. A cohort of students takes a cluster of classes over the course of a semester, focusing on the history, economic concerns, cultural intersections and political impact of an era, decision, event, policy, or important scientific innovation.
Students must appy for 360 Course Clusters during preregistration.
For complete program information: 360 Course Clusters
All students at Bryn Mawr must complete their PE requirement. PE Courses should be completed by the end of a student's sophomore year.
1. PE course registration opens on the first day of classes in the semester
2. PE classes vary in length from a full semester class, quarter courses, and 8 week courses. PE courses start in the second week of the semester for semester long courses and in the second week of semester courses.
3. Students are responsible for dropping PE classes they are no longer taking to free up spaces for other students. Courses not dropped at the end of the semester will result in a grade of NCR (No Credit).
4. PE courses do not appear on the student's official transcript.
5. PE courses are graded on a scale of 1-4 and the number corresponds to the number of PE credits earned for the course. (PE Grading Scale)