Contact Us
Sociology Department
Bryn Mawr College
101 North Merion Avenue
Bryn Mawr, PA 19010-2899
Phone: (610) 526-5030/5331
Fax: (610) 526-5655

Opportunities in Sociology

Study Abroad

Students who plan to take a junior semester abroad must get the approval of the department adviser before completing her course registration for the program. The student should submit a description of the program, a catalogue or published description of the courses she plans to take for sociology credit, and a statement of how the program fits into the major.

Opportunities for Field Work and Internship Experiences

The Sociology Department encourages students to pursue the varied opportunities to combine classroom learning with practical experiences through fieldwork and internships in Philadelphia and the surrounding suburbs. Opportunities for volunteer work in social service and other agencies are provided through the college's Civic Engagement Office. Students interested in course related internships should consult the Professor teaching the course for more information.

Departmental Grants for Summer Internships

Over the past decade, the sociology department has received a gift to fund student internships. The Pollak Fund supports student internships (for sociology junior and sophomore majors only!) for 8-10 weeks each summer. These grants are supported by the estate of Otto and Gertrude Pollak - lawyers from Vienna, Austria - who became political refugees from Nazi-occupied Austria and emigrated to the United States. After they settled in the Philadelphia area, Bryn Mawr College had a significant impact in helping them to establish their professional careers. See the attached link for more details and application instructions.

Pollak Grant Instructions

Independent Study

Students may request to work independently with a faculty member on an individual research project. The number of students accepted for independent study is necessarily limited because of other demands on faculty's time. Independent study is restricted to seniors and can be undertaken in either semester of the senior year. The student must have a GPA in the major of at least 3.3. The student must have done relevant course work in the area of the research study with the professor she requests to supervise her study. The student should seek the approval of the prospective faculty adviser as early as possible in the semester preceding the proposed independent study.

Interdepartmental Programs and Opportunities for Work at Other Institutions

The department participates in the interdisciplinary programs in Hispanic and Hispanic-American Studies, Gender and Sexuality Studies, Africana Studies and in the Growth and Structure of Cities Program. Cross-registration in Sociology and allied social science departments at Haverford, Swarthmore and the University of Pennsylvania provides many opportunities to study in specialized areas such as medical sociology, women's studies, demography, African American studies, statistics and computer science. Majors also frequently spend a junior semester abroad, combining the study of language, literature and culture with courses in sociology and allied social science. Students interested in these programs should consult first with their departmental undergraduate adviser.

You are strongly advised to also consult the Sociology Department bulletin board for additional information related to all of the above.