STAFF ASSOCIATION CONSTITUTION
STAFF ASSOCIATION CONSTITUTION
Article I. Name
The name of the organization shall be the Bryn Mawr College Staff Association.
Article II. Membership
- Every person employed at the College shall be a member of the Staff Association, with the exception of members of the senior staff administration (those who report directly to the President) and those with primarily faculty or student status.
- Payment of dues shall constitute a member's eligibility to hold office within the organization, have voting privileges, and represent the Staff Association on College committees.
- Dues shall be collected at the fall General meeting or handed into your department territorial representative (listed on the Staff Association website: http://www.brynmawr.edu/staffassoc/). Dues collected will be reported at the Executive Council meeting and listed in The Banner.
Article III. Purpose
The purpose of the Association shall be to further the quality 'of the College's services and the welfare of its employees by providing:
- A formal line of communication between the staff, the Bryn Mawr College administration, and other groups of the Bryn Mawr College Community.
- A forum for staff discussion of College policies, procedures, and conditions of employment, and a means for taking constructive action.
Article IV. Membership Privileges
- Dues paying members shall have the right to hold office within the organization, have voting privileges, and represent the Staff Association on College committees.
- All Staff Association Executive Committee members (whether elected, appointed, or volunteer) are expected to be mindful that they have the responsibility of representing the interests of all the Bryn Mawr College staff and that in all matters they have the responsibility of treating everyone with mutual respect as stated in the Principles of the Bryn Mawr Community Workplace. (read more here: http://www.brynmawr.edu/humanresources/documents/PrinciplesOfTheWorkplace.pdf
- All Staff Association Executive Committee members may step down from the Executive Committee at any time.
Article V. Representatives and Officers
- The officers shall be elected every spring or fall to fill vacancies for a two year term. Officers may serve two consecutive terms and be elected again after a one year interval and individual terms shall be staggered to provide continuity/ or appointed by Executive Committee when no nominations have been submitted. The four officers share responsibility for convening meetings, taking minutes, meeting with administration, the Chief Administration Officer and the Director of Human Resources.
- The Executive Council shall consist of representatives elected from each category of employee working at the College. The categories and representation shall be established in the bylaws. The officers shall also be members of the Executive Council.
- Representatives to the Executive Council to Committees are Volunteer positions or can be appointed by the Executive Council
- The Executive Council has the authority by means of a quorum to ask a member to step down from an elected, appointed or volunteer position.
- The Executive Council shall have the power to call meetings, to appoint committees and to appoint representatives to College Committees.
- The officers shall preside over the meetings of the Association; minutes shall be taken by an officer or one of the Executive Council members who will circulate the minutes via email or paper copy where necessary to all staff.
- The Executive Council shall present a slate of nominated candidates for the officers, members of the Executive Council and a representative to the Board of Trustees 2 weeks before the elections.
- The slate shall be presented at, or prior to a spring general meeting and nominations accepted from the floor. The vote shall be by written ballot.
Article VI. Committees
- The Executive Council will send delegates to College committees as needed. Appointees may include one Executive Council member to each committee. Staff Association representatives to College committees shall attend Executive Council meetings to report on committee activities, and one member shall be designated to submit a report to-the Staff Association.
- The Executive Council shall appoint ad hoc committees as necessary.
- All committees shall be broad based and shall represent various segments of the staff.
Article VII. Vacancies
The Executive Council shall fill any vacancies, effective until the next election.
Article VIII. Dues
Dues to carry on the work of the Association shall be voted yearly by the Executive
Council, presented for vote at a spring general meeting, and shall cover subsequent
year (June 1- May 31).
Article IX. Quorum
30% attendance of membership shall constitute a quorum at any General, Executive
Council or Committee meeting to validate proceedings.
Article X. Amendments
The Constitution may be amended by the Officers or have a 2/3 majority of those on the Executive Council approval. Copies of the proposed amendment shall have been circulated to the Officers or the Executive Council before the amendment is approved. The bylaws may be similarly amended.
Article XI. Meetings
- General meetings shall be held at least once a semester or at the request of the Executive Council, the officers, or 10 members of the Association.
- The Executive Council shall meet monthly or at least twice a semester or at the request of 10 members of the Association.
- Staff Association notices shall be posted in major campus buildings on bulletin boards designated by the College for posting of position openings as well as on the website.
- Notices of an agenda for general meetings shall be sent to members at least one week in advance of the meeting. Special meetings may be called with 48 hours' written notice.
- The minutes of all meetings of the Staff Association will be emailed to all staff and also be posted on the designated bulletin boards for those without email access within one week of committee approval of the minutes and posted to the Staff Association website.
- Employee categories are Administrative-Professional (AP), Service-Craft (SC), and Clerical-Technical (CT). There will be three representatives in their category with the possibility of a fourth person as an Alternate.
- Staff members may join the Staff Association at any time during the year, but dues will not be prorated.
- The Board of Trustees invites 2 Staff Association representatives to attend its quarterly meetings. One representative shall be appointed by the Executive Council and shall be chosen from current Executive Council members at the time of appointments. The other representative shall be elected at the regular general election. The term shall be two years and elections and appointments shall be staggered to provide continuity. Representatives may succeed themselves once, and may serve again after a one year interval. Both ·members shall attend Executive Council meetings, and one shall be designated to submit a written annual report to the Staff Association.
Updated April 11, 2014
ratified by show of hands vote: __6/5/2014_________
amended by Officers 11/14/14.