Contact Us
Theresa Cann
Assistant Dean, Director of International Education
Phone: 610-526-5375 Undergraduate Dean's Office
Eugenia Chase Guild Hall, Lower Level

Summer Study Abroad

Two students in Australia

Summer is a great time to study abroad, particularly for those students who are not able to do so during the regular semester.  This page provides information on how to plan your summer study abroad, including how to search for a program, how to plan your finances, and how to obtain approval for credit transfer.   Please note that if you have any questions, please contact Dean Cann in the Dean’s office.


Program Search and Planning Tips

  • A good place to start is on the website of the Institute of International Education,, or the Bryn Mawr College study abroad approved program list.
  • Stop by the study abroad resource library in Guild Hall to look through information that might be available on summer programs.  Programs, with which Bryn Mawr College deals on a regular basis for semester study abroad, often send us their brochures on summer programs. 
  • Check with academic departments to see if the professors recommend anything specific. 
  • Contact the program to find out how long the summer course is, how many credit hours it carries, and whether the class is on the semester system or the quarter system. If you have any questions about this, consult the registrar at the school or the program at which you plan to take the course.
  • Determine program cost and plan a budget, which should include but not limited to program fees, airfare, room, meals, and health insurance.

Return to top of page

Obtaining Approval for Your Program

  • For approval to study abroad in the summer, submit the Summer Study Abroad Application Form to the Bryn Mawr College Registrar’s for credit evaluation and transfer  
  • Once your program is approved by the Registrar, ask the program if they require any authorization forms to be completed by Bryn Mawr College (e.g., home institution approval form). Submit any such forms to Dean Cann for the appropriate signature.

Return to top of page

Financial Planning

The College does not provide financial aid for summer study abroad.  However, there are a number of scholarships that you can apply for.  Please visit the following resources for more information.  

Return to top of page

Bryn Mawr College Academic Policy on Summer Study Abroad

If you decide to study abroad during the summer with the intention of transferring the credit towards your Bryn Mawr degree, you should keep the following things in mind.  For more information, please consult the Registrar’s Office for information at

  • It is the student's responsibility to find a suitable program and to obtain the appropriate information.
  • Bryn Mawr will only confer transfer credit for liberal arts courses taken at a program that has been approved by the Registrar’s Office.
  • You must obtain a grade of 2.0 (C) or better for credit to transfer
  • Courses taken at colleges or universities abroad that are not part of an approved study abroad program are usually not accepted toward the undergraduate degree.
  • One Bryn Mawr unit equals 4 credit hours. Many courses at other institutions are only 3 credit hours. However, if the summer course you wish to take is 3 credit hours on the semester system and at least four weeks long, Bryn Mawr will "round up" the course and accept it as equal to 4 credit hours.
  • If the summer course you wish to take is offered on the quarter system, the class has to be 5 credit hours in order for the credit to be transferred towards your Bryn Mawr degree.
  • Online courses, internships, and fieldwork courses that do not involve final written papers and exams are not awarded transfer credit.
  • Like other transfer credits, summer courses taken through institutions other than Bryn Mawr are not factored into your GPA.
  • Students may transfer up to four units of credit for courses taken during the summers.  No more than two units may be transferred from any one summer.

Return to top of page