What is the definition of an "international student" at Bryn Mawr?

An international student at Bryn Mawr is someone who is not a U.S. citizen nor a U.S. permanent resident (green card holder). International students require visas to study in the United States and are not eligible for federal student aid. 

I am a U.S. permanent resident. Am I an international student?

No. U.S. permanent residents (green card holders) have a special legal status which makes them eligible for federal financial aid and they do not need student visas. 

I am a U.S. citizen but live overseas. Am I an international student?

No. The country in which you reside is not a factor. If you have U.S. citizenship or are a U.S. permanent resident, you are not considered an international student.

What kind of high school preparation do I need to apply?

An international applicant to Bryn Mawr should have completed an American-type high school program or a secondary school program that leads to university entrance in her own country. English language fluency is also essential.

What testing is required for international students?

International students must submit the results of standardized testing as described in our testing policy. If English is not your first language, you must submit the results of the TOEFL or IELTS. We can waive this requirement if you attended an English language medium school for the past 4 years where the only language of instruction has been English. The minimum score required for consideration is 100 on the TOEFL or 7 on the IELTS.

Are interviews available for international students who cannot travel to visit campus?

Yes. There are several interview options and details are available here.

Is financial aid available for international students?

Yes. Bryn Mawr College awards need-based financial aid to international students which may consist of grants, loans, and campus employment. The College meets the full demonstrated need for all admitted students and there is a great deal of competition for these funds. Learn more here.

Is Bryn Mawr need-blind?

No. Bryn Mawr College is “need sensitive.” This means that the amount of aid a student requests of the College may affect the admission decision. This is because Bryn Mawr has a limited pool of resources, yet is also committed to meeting full demonstrated need for all admitted students. Once admissibility is determined, funds are distributed until the financial aid budget has been depleted. If there are places remaining in the class, a student’s request for aid may determine if she is admitted or not.

Can I apply for financial aid after I am admitted and enrolled?

No, an international student must declare her intent to apply for financial aid on the Common Application at the time she applies for admission. She must also submit her financial aid application and supporting documents by the stated deadline. If she does not request financial aid when applying for admission, she is not eligible to request it at any time in the future while at Bryn Mawr.

If I took a gap year after high school and have been taking college-level courses, do I apply as a transfer or as a first-year student?   

If a student has not matriculated full-time into a college or university and has not yet completed one full semester, she may apply as a first-year student. International students applying as first-year students are eligible to apply for financial aid.

If a student has already completed one or more full semesters of coursework at another college or university, she may not apply as a first-year student and must apply as a transfer student. Only students enrolled at U.S. colleges or universities are eligible to apply for financial aid. Transfer applicants attending a university outside of the United States are not eligible for financial aid.

Does Bryn Mawr offer credit for international exams?

Yes. Bryn Mawr awards students up to eight (8) academic units for qualifying scores on the International Baccalaureate Diploma. Credit is awarded for an overall score of 35 or higher. For students who have a score of 30 or higher and honors scores on three HL exams, credit may also be awarded. Bryn Mawr awards similar credit for General Certificate of Education (GCE) A-Level exams. Additional details are available here.

Is there an orientation program for international students?

Yes. The Office of International Student Services coordinates an orientation for international students prior to classes beginning in the fall. To determine a student's eligibility to attend this orientation, please contact the Office of International Student Services directly.

Can international students stay on campus during breaks?

Yes. During Fall, Thanksgiving, and Spring breaks, students may stay in the residence halls. During Winter Break, the College makes special arrangements for students who cannot go home and who request to stay on campus.