What is the difference between a transfer and first-year student?

  First-Year Transfer
Students from community colleges    
I took community college classes after I completed high school.  
I took community college classes during high school as part of a dual-enrollment program.  
Students from four-year colleges and universities    
I am currently in my first semester of college.  
I started college, but withdrew and did not complete my first semester.   
I have completed at least one semester of college work and now want to change schools or my course of study.  

If I have been out of school for a while, does Bryn Mawr admit returning adult women?

Yes. Students who are 24 years and older are welcome to apply and will be part of the McBride Scholar program. In order to be considered a McBride, you must be 24 on or before the first day of class in the fall semester. 

If I have been out of school for more than 3 years, are recommendations from teachers or professors required?

No. In this circumstance we will accept letters from employers or peers.

If I attend a community college, am I required to complete my associate's degree in order to apply as a transfer student?

No. We can consider your application with a minimum of 1 full-time semester (or 4 individual courses) of completed college level work.

As an international transfer student, can I apply for financial aid?

Financial aid is only available to international students who are transferring from U.S. colleges or universities. International students who need financial aid and want to transfer to Bryn Mawr from a non-US university are not eligible to apply. You are considered an international student if you are not a US citizen or US permanent resident.

What is the minimum amount of time a transfer student must attend BMC?

In total, a Bryn Mawr degree requires 32 units (individual courses). Transfer students may bring in a maximum of 16 units and must then take at least 16 units at Bryn Mawr. In most cases, a transfer student must spend a minimum of 2 years full-time at Bryn Mawr.

Can transfer students attend part-time?

Only McBride Scholars are permitted to attend part time.

Is housing available for transfer students and McBride Scholars?

Housing is determined on a case-by-case basis.

What if I did not complete high school?

You must prove that you completed a high school program by submitting an official high school transcript or a GED certificate.

If I previously applied to Bryn Mawr, do I have to re-submit all my materials?

All transfer applicants must submit the Common Application for Transfer Students and the Bryn Mawr Member Supplement. If you applied to Bryn Mawr within the past two years, we may have some of your academic materials on file. Please contact admissions@brynmawr.edu to confirm what we have and what you will need to submit.

Which credits will transfer to Bryn Mawr?

Credits from general education courses in the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences are likely to transfer to Bryn Mawr. For more information, please read our Transfer Credit Policy.