And in a work world that is changing daily, itâs work you need to consider at least yearly. To begin your Career Planning Process, follow these four basic steps:
- Examine skills, values, interests, life requirements and goals.
- Identify skills which need further development.
- Consider practical and inspirational goals for yourself.
- Choose wisely: what will serve to define your inner compass now?
The following worksheets allow you to honestly examine your skills, values, and interests, and gives you tools to reflect on past accomplishments and identify future goals. Alumnae Career Services gives you many opportunities to do these exercises in conjunction with programming, but you can also do them on your own at any time.
- Analyze your current work situation currentworkanalysis.pdf
- Explore your ideal day idealdayworksheet.pdf
- Industry research industryresearchworksheet.pdf
- Evaluate your network networkingworksheet.pdf
- Take stock of your skills skillsinventoryworksheet.pdf
- Take stock of your values valuesworksheet.pdf
- Career summary careersummaryworksheet.pdf
2.Marketplace research and assessment
- Prepare a complete networking list.
- Identify geographical areas of interest.
- Identify target industries and companies.
- Prepare a solid, core elevator speech and practice!
- Prepare a core resume that you can adapt for each application.
- Formulate a strategy for activating your networking connections.
3.Strategy and preparation of supporting materials
- Examine what is happening on the macro level, including the world economy, trends in industries, new areas of opportunity as well as regional trends for areas you are considering.
- Integrate information to form a plan and timeline.
- Conduct networking steadily and keep good records.
- Refine your goals based on what you discover.
- Analyze your work regularly and learn from it.
- A job search is a full-time job. Allow the time to do it well
- Remember that the more you strategically reach out to others, the more opportunities will unfold for you.