And in a work world that is changing daily, it’s work you need to consider at least yearly.
To begin your Career Planning Process, follow these four basic steps:
- Examine skills, values, interests, life requirements and goals.
- Identify skills which need further development.
- Consider practical and inspirational goals for yourself.
- Choose wisely: what will serve to define your inner compass now?
Download worksheets to guide you through the self-assessment process.
2.Marketplace research and assessment
- Prepare a complete networking list.
- Identify geographical areas of interest.
- Identify target industries and companies.
- Prepare a solid, core elevator speech and practice!
- Prepare a core resume that you can adapt for each application.
- Formulate a strategy for activating your networking connections.
3.Strategy and preparation of supporting materials
- Examine what is happening on the macro level, including the world economy, trends in industries, new areas of opportunity as well as regional trends for areas you are considering.
- Integrate information to form a plan and timeline.
- Conduct networking steadily and keep good records.
- Refine your goals based on what you discover.
- Analyze your work regularly and learn from it.
- A job search is a full-time job. Allow the time to do it well
- Remember that the more you strategically reach out to others, the more opportunities will unfold for you.