What is Mawrter Connect?
Mawrter Connect is an enhanced, professional and personal networking experience for Bryn Mawr College. By engaging within this platform, you are able to network with students, alumnae/i, faculty and staff, as well as friends of the College. Connect with individuals in industries and cities/countries of interest, share career advice and gain insights from each other's experiences, and contribute to an exceptional network!
Alumnae/i regularly engage with and give back to the Bryn Mawr community through informational interviewing. Mawrter Connect enables and simplifies making connections within the community; it also provides a space for referring and sharing opportunities.
- How does it work?
- Resources in Mawrter Connect
- How can I get the most out of this community?
- How do I get started?
- Technical Support
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can utilize Mawrter Connect?
- How do I access Mawrter Connect?
- How easy is it to get started?
- Is there an approval process for people who participate?
- I am in Mawrter Connect as an alumna/us, faculty member, staff member or Friend of the College. Who can see my profile information?
- I am in Mawrter Connect as a student. Who can see my profile information?
- Can I control how often I am contacted and who can contact me through Mawrter Connect?
- I reached out to someone, and did not receive a response. What should I do?
- What if I don't know what to say?
- What’s the difference between Mawrter Connect and other online offerings? Is this replacing LinkedIn or Facebook groups?
- How do I report inappropriate conduct?
- How do I change my email address or the number of emails I receive?
- What devices/browsers support video chat?
- Who are "Friends of the College"?
Share or Post Jobs for Alumnae/i
- Where can I find job vacancy announcements?
- Who has access to the Jobs Board?
- What opportunities should be posted?
- How do I utilize the Jobs Board?
- How to I post jobs or internships for students?
In Explore the Community, you can search for alumnae/i by industry, location, key words, and other filters that include affinity, affiliation, and identity groups. On the Home page, you will get recommended connections based on commonalities in your interests.
You decide who to reach out to and how to use the information available! You also choose how many contact emails you receive in a month, from unlimited to none, and can sync your calendar to make scheduling easier. You may adjust your settings at any time under the My Preferences section.
In addition to the ability to search for and directly message alumnae/i using Explore the Community, there are several other Resources available:
- Discussions: Create a post, start a discussion, or ask a question for community input and interaction.
- Webinars, Articles, and Alumnae/i Profiles: Access information in a variety of formats: recorded career panels and programs, handouts and articles, profiles of alums and their career stories, and links to campus resources such as Health Professions and Pre-Law Advising.
- Business Directory: This is an opportunity for Alumnae/i business owners to display their businesses within the Resources, Business Directory section of Mawrter Connect. Please note, only businesses owned by Bryn Mawr College Alumnae/i can be advertised on this site. Although Mawrter Connect is a password protected site, Bryn Mawr College cannot protect the privacy of your posting as users may copy and repost your information elsewhere. Bryn Mawr College retains discretion to discontinue this Directory and/or remove any listing at any time for any reason.
- Mawrter Connect Business Directory Disclaimer: The Mawrter Connect Business Directory highlights alumnae/i owned businesses. The Directory provides links to external websites; however, Bryn Mawr College (“the College”) does not evaluate the postings or endorse the underlying businesses. The College does not guarantee the accuracy of any business listing posted in the Directory and outdated and/or erroneous details are inevitable. The College will not be responsible for problems that may arise from your use of links or businesses found on the Directory. The College is not responsible and expressly disclaims all liability for, or damages of any kind, arising out of the use, reference to, or reliance on, any information or business listed in Mawrter Connect. You must always use other sources in conjunction with the Directory before making decisions about businesses to use or support, and always check references for yourself before hiring/using a service. Bryn Mawr College will not intervene in any business relationship you may establish through the Directory.
- Meet a Mawrter. Go to Explore the Community to find people using a range of filters, including industry, education, affiliations and identities, and more. You can connect online, exchange emails, and set up a video chat. You may choose to meet in person as well.
- Start a discussion. Use the Discussion tab to pose questions to the Mawrter Connect community.
- Access resources. Explore articles, resources, and tools posted in the Resources section.
- Invite your peers. Use the email tool or referral link to encourage your Bryn Mawr classmates, friends and colleagues to participate in Mawrter Connect.
- Be active! Ask questions and reach out to new people. Don’t be afraid to initiate a message, alumnae/i have volunteered to be contacted and are waiting to hear from you!
1. Go to https://mawrterconnect.brynmawr.edu/ to sign up
2. Choose how you sign in between email, LinkedIn, or Students/Faculty/Staff (uses campus network email and password via Single Sign-on)
3. Visit Explore the Community to access alumnae/i profiles and use the information available to build your personal community and connections
4. Still have questions? Email MawrterConnect@brynmawr.edu
If you are logged in and having a technical issue, click the question mark in the upper right corner of the page to log a support ticket.
Frequently Asked Questions
Mawrter Connect is an exciting enhancement to the networking experience for the Bryn Mawr community. Connecting students and alumnae/i with one another for lively and informative conversations is the primary focus. Current Bryn Mawr College faculty, staff, and other friends of the College can also participate.
You may choose to log in using either your email address or LinkedIn account; LinkedIn is not a requirement for access. Students, faculty and staff also have the option to log in with their campus network credentials by clicking the Students/Faculty/Staff option.
It only takes a few moments to activate your account! You will be prompted to answer a few questions about your background, including ones specific to identities and affiliations, with the main purpose of enabling connections with others. Finally, alumnae/i, faculty and staff are asked about the 'help topics' they are open to discussing with others in the community.
You can easily import information from either your resume or LinkedIn profile, including your picture. Importing profile information from LinkedIn is optimal on a laptop, tablet, or desktop (rather than via smartphone). The platform is mobile-friendly and once you are registered there is an easy-to-install icon for your mobile device home screen for even faster access.
Yes. Alumnae/i, students, faculty, and staff with email addresses were imported. If you access Mawrter Connect through a system-generated invitation, your account is automatically approved. If you enter from the website or use a different email than we have, your account will go to an approval queue; once your information is verified you should be approved to enter the system within 48-72 hours.
You can control who can find you and what they can see. Using the My Preferences section, you can indicate whether you want everyone, no one, or specific user types (alumnae/i, student, faculty and staff, Friend of the College) to see your profile. This setting defaults to everyone. You also have control over the visibility of some parts of your profile by going to My Profile and scrolling all the way down to the Mawrter Connect: Additional Information section.
When you request a meeting with someone, your profile is visible to that person. Alums, faculty, staff and Friends of the College are not able to search for students and no one sees student information in Explore the Community. You also have control over the visibility of some parts of your profile by going to My Profile and scrolling all the way down to the Mawrter Connect: Additional Information section.
Yes, under the My Preferences section! You can choose which groups of users (alumni, students, faculty and staff, or Friends of the College) are able to view your profile, whether you wish to be available for connections and informational interviews, what times you are available to connect, and how many inbound messages or meeting requests you would like to receive each month.
The Friend of the College User Type enables parents, community partners, and allies who may not be alumnae/i to participate in the Mawrter network. Any user that joins as a Friend of the College requires approval by the College before they can access the system.
Give them a few days, then send a follow-up message. Don’t be discouraged if you don’t hear back. People are busy! Try again in a few weeks if you really want to speak with that person or look for someone else with a similar background.
Be yourself. Inquire about Bryn Mawr experiences you may have in common, such as a favorite place on campus, a favorite class or professor, and activities and organizations. Ask honest, genuine and open-ended what and how questions. For example,
- "What are you passionate about in your career?"
- "How did you get started on this career journey?"
- “How critical is graduate education to progressing in this field?”
- “What surprised you most about the first few years after graduating from Bryn Mawr?”
Let your curiosity guide you! And don't worry, there is real-time coaching in the system to help you craft a professional message, and the resource section has more helpful articles and information.
All opportunities to connect are valuable and complement one another! Mawrter Connect is provided by the College in direct support of the #1 articulated need/goal in the community: connections.
LinkedIn is for building an online presence and managing one's entire network of relationships. The College manages two Bryn Mawr groups to stimulate connections.
Athena's Web includes the College's official alumnae/i directory and event management platform.
Facebook groups operate independently from the College and provide lively, interactive alum-to-alum and alum-to-student discussions, debates, and sharing.
Click the red “Report User” triangle button in your inbox tab while in the message thread with the person in question. You can also notify Bryn Mawr administrators by emailing Becky Ross at email@example.com.
Click on your profile picture on the top right hand side of your screen and select My Preferences. Next, change the notification preferences on your network activity updates.
Video chat is supported on most modern browsers and operating systems. Recommended versions for use are: Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
Share or Post Jobs for Alumnae/i
The Jobs Board allows community members to share or post opportunities for alumnae/i. Opportunities include employment, volunteer positions, fellowships, Board Service, and projects. Your referrals power this jobs board!
Opportunities shared in Mawrter Connect are intended for alumnae/i. Alumnae/i, faculty, staff, and Friends of the College may share or post opportunities.
Share referrals when you become aware of an exciting opportunity for alumnae/i. Direct hiring managers can post jobs and identify alumnae/i applicants.
If you are seeking to hire current students, we ask that you post opportunities via Handshake, our centralized job and internship site for students.
Once logged in to your account, go to the Jobs section and click "Share an Opportunity" to get started. If the job is posted elsewhere online, via integration with Indeed you may have the option of automatically pulling in all job details - making data entry a breeze!
We recommend that you add a note to any referrals, indicating your willingness to be contacted by others in the community to answer questions. Additional information is available via support articles provided by PeopleGrove.
Full-time employment, internships, and volunteer positions for students are promoted via Handshake, Bryn Mawr’s online career management system. Employers can post for both current students and alumnae/i at no cost. To register as a new employer in Handshake, please contact Career Engagement at 610-526-5174 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
User Agreement Expectations:
The Career & Civic Engagement Center (The Center) asks alumnae/i, faculty, staff, and friends of the College to follow ethical and standard recruiting practices as stated in our Employer Recruiting Policies when sharing or posting opportunities within Mawrter Connect.
- Please only share opportunities that are personally known to you and which you are confident are legitimate opportunities.
- We encourage you to "Add a Note" to your referral, including additional information, such as your name, contact information, and willingness to answer questions (if appropriate) by those exploring opportunities.
- The Center reserves the right to remove any postings.
For alumnae/i seeking opportunities, the posting of these positions should not be construed as an endorsement from Bryn Mawr College. The rights and responsibilities of verification of posting details remains with the job seeker. No claim of authenticity either express or otherwise is made.