This page contains a range of links and resources that may assist you in your career transition, job search planning, salary negotiation, geographic location, and more. It is by no means comprehensive but we hope this collection of links will steer you in the direction of many valuable resources.
Resources Provided by Bryn Mawr College
- Handshake: a career management system with hundreds of openings (typically early career and entry-level) from companies that specifically target Mawrters.
- Mawrter Connect: Bryn Mawr’s enhanced personal and professional networking community includes a Jobs Board exclusively for alums to share opportunities with one another
- Job and Career Databases: follow the instructions on screen to access these special resources, some of which are available to alumnae/i (watch this video tutorial for more information)
- iRelaunch Roadmap: a five-phase program for individuals re-entering the workforce after time away
Resume, Cover Letter and Interviewing Handouts
- Developing Your Resume
- Writing a Curriculum Vitae
- Writing Cover Letters and Letters of Interest
- The Art of Writing Job Search Letters
- Preparing for Job Interviews
Graduate & Professional School Resources
Career and Leadership Books
Alums and career counselors have mentioned these books as useful for career exploration and transition, professional development, and the job search. The list does not constitute an official endorsement of any publication, nor is it meant to be comprehensive. Alums who would like to recommend other publications may email Becky Ross.
- Women in the Workplace
- Reentering the Workforce
- Job Search Sites
- Mid-Career Transitions
- Nonprofit and Volunteer
- Self-employment and Consulting
- Research Sites: Salary and Careers
- Individuals with Disabilites
- Industry-specific & Remote Work Job Search Sites
- Find Your Fit: A Practical Guide to Landing a Job You’ll Love (Sue Kaiden, Editor)
- Managing Career Transitions with Meaning and Purpose (Lisa Severy, Jack and Phoebe Ballard)
- Designing Your Life: How to Build a Well-Lived, Joyful Life (Bill Burnett and Dave Evans)
- Back on the Career Track: A Guide for Stay-at-Home Moms Who Want to Return to Work (Carol Fishman Cohen and Vivian Steir Rabin)
- Women and Transition: Reinventing Work and Life (Linda Rossetti)
- I Don't Know What I Want, But I Know It's Not This: A Step-by-Step Guide to Finding Gratifying Work (Julie Jansen)
- Pivot: The Only Move that Matters is Your Next One (Jenny Blake)
- How Women Rise: Break the 12 Habits Holding You Back from Your Next Raise, Promotion, or Job (Sally Helgesen and Marshall Goldsmith)
- Multipliers: How the Best Leaders Make Everyone Smarter (Liz Wizeman)
- The Next Generation of Women Leaders: What You Need to Lead, But Won't Learn in Business School (Selena Rezvani)
- The First-Time Manager (Loren B. Belker, Jim McCormick, and Gary S. Topchik)
- Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader (Hermina Ibarra)
- Association for Women in Science, AWIS: a global network that inspires bold leadership, research, and solutions that advance women in STEM, spark innovation, promote organizational success and drive systemic change.
- Jobs and Moms: strategies, resources, and support for re-entering the workforce, working from home, and being a working mother.
- National Association for Female Executives: an association for women professionals and business owners; provides resources – through education, networking, and public advocacy – to empower its members to achieve both career and personal success.
- National Center for Women and Information Technology: a non-profit community of more than 1,100 universities, companies, non-profits, and government organizations nationwide working to increase girls’ and women’s meaningful participation in computing.
- Resource Center for Women in Business - This resource center from Purdue University Global highlights notable educational, career support and community resources for women to gain more insight into business and entrepreneurship. It also offers financial aid and scholarship resources, entrepreneurial funding opportunities, and networking opportunities with professional associations and organizations for women interested in furthering their career as a business professional or entrepreneur.
- U.S. Dept of Labor Women’s Bureau: promotes the welfare of wage-earning women and the advancement of their opportunities for profitable employment.
- WIT: Women in Technology: has the sole aim of advancing women in technology – and meets its vision through a variety of leadership development, technology education, networking and mentoring opportunities for women at all levels of their careers.
- Women’s Executive Network (Canada): creates and delivers innovative networking, mentoring, professional and personal development.
- Women’s Media Center: a progressive, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization working to raise the visibility, viability and decision-making power of women and girls in media and, thereby, ensuring that their stories get told and their voices are heard.
- World Pulse : a social network connecting women worldwide for change.
- Unstoppable Women with Archana R: interviews with incredible women about their career paths and how they became senior leaders at their companies
- Women at Work, Harvard Business Review: conversations about the workplace, and women’s place in it.
- Après Group - Après is curating a job market for women reentering the workforce. The companies on the site have made a pledge to hire women returning to the workforce. Coaching and other services are provided.
- Mom Corps - Corps Team is a nationwide, boutique, talent advisory, search and staffing firm. Since 2005, they have helped fast-growing companies build their teams with highly skilled, hard to find professionals in Accounting, Finance, Marketing, HR and other business services.
- The Mom Project - Juggling a career and a family can be challenging. This platform’s goal is to make it easier by matching you with work opportunities that align with your work and flexibility preferences.
- Path Forward - A nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people to restart their careers after time spent focused on caregiving. They work with companies to create midcareer internships — sometimes called “returnships” — to give women (and men) a jump start back to the paid workforce.
- ReBoot Accel – Their programs get women current, connected, and confident to return to work with impact and influence. ReBoot Accel has a suite of training and placement programs help women land jobs and return to the workplace.
- Working Mother - Working Mother is mentor, role model and advocate for the country’s millions of moms who are devoted to their families and committed to their careers.
- CareerBuilder – a national, multi-industry and experience level job posting site.
- Fish4Jobs – A UK job search site.
- Idealist – a national nonprofit and public sector job, internship, and volunteer opportunity posting site.
- Indeed – a national job search engine/aggregator across industries and experience levels.
- Job Accommodation Network - is the leading source of free, expert, and confidential guidance on workplace accommodations and disability employment issues.
- Media Bistro - jobs in marketing, advertising, publishing, sales, PR, digital media, television, design, and more.
- Monster - a national, multi-industry and experience level job posting site.
- Nonprofit Job Source - mission-focused nonprofit career site and comprehensive source for posting and finding nonprofit jobs.
- Simply Hired - a national, multi-industry and experience level job posting site.
- USA Jobs – the primary portal for federal government jobs; a U.S. Office of Personnel Management website.
- WowJobs - Search thousands of jobs from thousands of job boards, employment and career sites in Canada.
- Chronicle of Philanthropy Jobs – nonprofit and philanthropy jobs, in the Careers section of this publication.
- College Grad – a national, multi-industry, entry-level job posting site.
- Dice - delivers opportunities, insights and connections for technology and engineering professionals in North America and Continental Europe.
- AARP Working at 50+ - provides articles and resources for staying competitive in the workforce, age discrimination, work-life balance, and planning for retirement.
- Changing Course - a site “dedicated to helping people find creative ways to make money doing what they love”; features blogs and idea brainstorming in support of career change.
- Encore.org - an innovation hub tapping the talent of people 50+ as a force for good.
- Flexible Professional Jobs - Provides tools, resources, articles, and tips to find professional remote and flexible jobs, which are typically harder and more-time consuming to find anywhere else
- National Older Workers Career Center - promotes an age-diverse workforce through expanding the employment opportunities in government agencies for individuals 55 and over.
- The Muse - Career advice website that features a Career Change “channel” with discussion boards and expert articles.
- RetirementJobs.com – Our mission is to enhance the lives of America’s age 50+ workforce. We’re committed to making it easier to remain engaged in communities through paid or volunteer work.
- American Friends Service Committee - a Quaker organization that promotes lasting peace with justice, as a practical expression of faith in action.
- Amizade Volunteer Programs - a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting volunteerism, providing community service, encouraging collaboration, and improving cultural awareness in locations throughout the world.
- Foundation Center (The) - To strengthen the social sector by advancing knowledge about philanthropy in the U.S. and around the world.
- Guidestar - the world's largest source of information on nonprofit organizations.
- Idealist - The leading search engine for connecting people and organizations, with ideas, and resources and opportunities to collaborate and take action for social change.
- National Council of Nonprofits - Jobs in the nonprofit sector are featured among the many resources available on this site.
- ReServe Inc. - matches seniors with the expressed needs of government and social services agencies to help fill critical gaps such as support for Strategic Planning, foundation outreach, administrative support, event planning, IT administration, and more.
- Young Nonprofit Professionals Network - activates emerging leaders by connecting them with resources, people, and ideas.
- Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE) - TESL programs in 10 countries: Chile, China, Czech Republic, Dominican Republic, Morocco, Portugal, South Korea, Spain, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Experience Corps - a program made up of volunteers (age 50+) who are dedicated to helping children become great readers before completing third grade.
- Global Crossroad - international volunteer vacation organization, offering experiences in 18 countries located throughout Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
- Global Service Corporation - International volunteer community service organization, combining community service and learning into meaningful and substantive volunteer projects in Latin America, East Africa and Southeast Asia.
- Senior Corps - Americans age 55+ who use their experience and wisdom to volunteer and make a difference in their communities.
- Xperitas - Community Partnership Programs offer the opportunity to partner with indigenous and marginalized communities around the world. Through immersion, participants engage with community members and support projects created and led by the community.
- Gaebler.com Resources for Entrepreneurs - A site that provides useful news and information to small business owners, entrepreneurs and others who are interested in business.
- National Association of Women Business Owners - NAWBO is the only dues-based organization representing the interests of all women entrepreneurs across all industries; and with chapters across the country. A range of professional development and conference opportunities, blogs, resources, and advocacy.
- Start Up Nation - Provides inspiration and connections needed to start, grow and manage a successful startup business. Content is crafted by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs. Offers access to experts in a variety of disciplines through its media channels and fosters peer-to-peer interaction in its online community forums.
- SCORE - A nonprofit association dedicated to helping small businesses get off the ground, grow and achieve their goals through education and mentorship. Their work is supported by the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), and with a network of 10,000 volunteers, they are able to deliver our services at no charge or at low cost. Connect with volunteer mentors across 62 industries, free business tools, and inexpensive or free business workshops.
Salary and Compensation Information
- Glass Door – salary data, company reviews, job postings, and more.
- Payscale – Salary data, salary negotiation guide, career advice articles, and more.
- Salary.com - consumer and enterprise resource for compensation data, software, and consulting.
- U.S. Dept of Labor – The Bureau of Labor Statistics publishes information on the wages, earnings, and benefits of workers. Generally, this information is categorized in one or more of the following ways: geographic area, occupation, and industry.
Career and Industry Exploration
Occupational Outlook Handbook - The OOH can help you find career information on duties, education and training, pay, and outlook for hundreds of occupations. From the U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics.
O*NET OnLine - Valid data are essential to understanding the rapidly changing nature of work and how it impacts the workforce and U.S. economy. Contains hundreds of standardized and occupation-specific descriptors on almost 1,000 occupations covering the entire U.S. economy.
Alliance Abroad Group - This work experience program is designed to match businesses and individuals with temporary employment opportunities in Australia.
British Chambers of Commerce - The Chamber of Commerce network exists to support and connect companies, bringing together firms to build new relationships, share best practice and foster new opportunities.
Europages – Business to Business marketing services, trade platform, International Business network, Import Export Marketplace, and business lead generator.
World Pulse - a social network connecting women worldwide for change.
- CareerOneStop - Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor
- Job Accommodation Network
- Office of Disability Employment Policy – U.S. Department of Labor
- Learn How to Become
- Respect Ability
- Bender Consulting
- Job Search Sites: