Re-envisioning Volunteer Career Development Support of the Alumnae/i Community
Bryn Mawr College is committed to providing comprehensive, lifetime career services to alumnae/i and views this as an important and meaningful activity. In recent years, Alumnae/i Career Services was managed by a BMC professional, with support from CDRs (Career Development Representatives). CDRs were alumnae/i volunteers, working as part of club programs in several major U.S. cities, to provide local support, networking, and programs.
The creation and growth of the Career & Civic Engagement Center, formerly the Leadership, Innovation, and Liberal Arts Center (LILAC), over the past four years has had a significant impact on the professional and personal development of students and recent graduates. Following the restructuring in 2017 that formed Alumnae Relations & Development (ARD), Alumnae Career Services integrated with LILAC as part of the strategic efforts to engage alumnae/i, for the benefit of the alumnae community as well as students.
The retirement of the Director of Alumnae Career Services in the spring of 2017 further provided an opportunity for the College to reflect upon future directions. The Career & Civic Engagement Center and Alumnae Relations leadership work closely together under the new organizational structures. The Career Development representative of the Alumnae Association Executive Board (AAEB) in partnership with ARD and LILAC created a working group of volunteers (including the CDRs and the Alumnae Association President) to further shape the future of alumnae career support and engagement:
- Sharon Harshbarger-Kucera ’90 – Career Development Representative to the Alumnae Association Executive Board
- Saskia Subramanian ’88 – President of the Alumnae Association
- Cate Megley ’08 – CDR for New York
- Donna Vogel ’71 – CDR for Washington, D.C.
- Megan Roudebush ’02 – CDR for Chicago
- Millie Bond ’05 – Director of Alumnae Relations
- Katie Krimmel — Associate Dean of the Career & Civic Engagement Center
The College created a newly envisioned, full-time position in the fall of 2017 to lead the ongoing evolution of alumnae career development and engagement. To ensure the alumnae/i community has access to the best career development resources and programs, the Senior Associate Director for Alumnae Career Services works directly with the Career & Civic Engagement Center, as part of the Career and Professional Development team, and in concert with working group above. The Career & Civic Engagement Center and ARD are deeply connected in their efforts to provide opportunities to the alumnae/i community and are excited about this new role and model.
A new Career Connections Committee is being convened by Alumnae/i Career Services. The Career Connections Committee and the Connector volunteer roles provide opportunities for alumnae/i who are accomplished within their own industries, professions, regions, and communities to foster supportive connections within the Bryn Mawr alumnae/i community.
The College and the Career & Civic Engagement Center seek to activate the Bryn Mawr alumnae/i network in support of career development and civic engagement. Connectors are advocates for and will promote awareness of Alumnae/i Career Services and build an active professional networking culture through collaboration with the Senior Associate Director.
Examples of Activities:
- Meet with 4-5 alums every 3 months, in person or virtually, to get to know other alums in the region and grow the active network.
- Attend College and Club events, such as “Welcome to the City”, and support efforts to encourage others to participate.
- Encourage alumnae/i to update their LinkedIn and Athena’s Web information, as well as to join the LinkedIn groups Bryn Mawr College Alumnae/i and Bryn Mawr College Alumnae/i & Students.
- Liaise with the Senior Associate Director for Alumnae/i Career Services
- Track and report participation to the Senior Associate Director and Alumnae/i Relations.
The Senior Associate Director selects and appoints members of the Committee and Connectors. Member terms will be three years.