One of the services Career Engagement offers students and alumnae/i is maintaining a file of letters of recommendation for employment or application to graduate school. At your written or emailed request, Career Engagement will forward copies of these letters to graduate schools or employers.
Open a File
- Credentials files are opened and serviced only through your degree granting institution.
- Sign a "Credential Release Form" and email it to Career Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org. This opens your file.
- Career Engagement will provide a “Letter of Reference" form for you to offer to each potential reference writer. You can also can be access the form on the link under Forms on this page. Each form should indicate whether or not the specific letter of reference is to be confidential and should be signed by you before being given to the writer. You may choose to have confidential and non-confidential letters in your file.
- A reference writer may write directly on the form or attach the form to a letter written on stationery from his/her department. All completed letters of recommendation should be sent directly to Career Engagement at email@example.com.
- Several (three to five) letters of recommendation should be part of your file. Ask people who know you well (professors, employers, or others) to write on your behalf.
- Personally seek letters of recommendation and discuss the purpose of the letter with the writer (e.g., graduate school, employment). It may be helpful to provide a resume/curriculum vita for the writer.
- You are responsible for contacting reference writers and following up on their compliance with your request. We recommend that you check with Career Engagement within a reasonable amount of time (three weeks) to see if the letter(s) has arrived and is in your file.
Send References to an Employer or Academic Institution
- Letters of reference from your file will be copied and sent out only with your written/emailed permission.
- A “Credential Request Form” can be accessed on the link under Forms on this page. You may also send an email to Career Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org with your request to have a letter sent. Please include all information for the organization to which the letter should be sent.
- Many organizations/institutions are now providing links for letters to be uploaded to their site. Career Engagement is able to submit your letter(s) through this method if you provide the link or designate our office as the one to submit credentials.
- Legible, handwritten requests will also be accepted. For reasons of confidentiality, letters of recommendation cannot be faxed.
- Letters for which rights of access have been waived can only be sent directly to the organization identified in the request. The only exception is when a graduate program requires the applicant to collect and send all application materials in one packet. At the time of the written request, please provide a copy of the part of the application that states this requirement.
- The first seven packets of materials mailed at your request are free. After the first seven mailings, a fee of $3 per packet of mailed credentials is charged. Include a check made payable to “Bryn Mawr College” with your request.