What is Summer of Service?
Hosted by Civic Engagement, the BMC Summer of Service is a funded opportunity for students to live, serve, and learn together in the Bryn Mawr community.
Ten students live together on campus, spend 32 hours each week volunteering for a service or activism organization in the Bryn Mawr/Philadelphia region and spend an additional three to five hours each week in service learning activities including ongoing training, visits to local organizations, and reflection activities. Students live together in housing provided on campus, and receive a stipend for the ten week program. Each student also receives a monthly SEPTA Trail Pass for June and July to pay for transportation to and from their service site. (Civic Engagement will provide individual tickets for travel to and from service sites occurring in May and/or August.)
Summer 2020 Important Dates
- Summer of Service Application Deadline: Friday, March 6, 2020
- SOS Move In Day: Saturday, May 30, 2020
- SOS Teambuilding Day: Monday, June 1, 2020
- Leadership Learning Lab, Team #1: Tuesday, June 2, 2020
- Leadership Learning Lab, Team #2: Wednesday, June 3, 2020
- First Day of SOS Internships, Team #1: Wednesday, June 3, 2020
- First Day of SOS Internships, Team #2: Thursday, June 4, 2020
- Last Day of SOS Internships: Thursday, Aug. 6, 2020
- SOS Closing Activities: Friday, Aug. 7, 2020
- SOS Move Out Day: Sunday, Aug. 9, 2020
Students explore their interest in social justice and develop their skills as a change agent through a focused internship in the Philadelphia metro area. The ongoing commitment of Summer of Service participants is to promote civic engagement and activism at Bryn Mawr. Students are expected not only to serve as leaders on campus, but as active participants in the Bryn Mawr service and activism community.
Applicants must be undergraduate Bryn Mawr students completing their freshman, sophomore, or junior year. Students must focus on a specific type of service or activism and must have identified an area of focus at the time of application.
Students may choose to work with any organization approved by Civic Engagement, and are encouraged to pursue their individual email@example.com