Undergraduate students who are interested in submitting their writing for publication or for presenting at a conference can find information here on Calls for Papers that have been sent to the Department of English. Questions regarding calls for submissions should be addressed to the publication or to Bryn Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Calls for Papers
Journal Invites Submissions for Issue Focused on the Future
Process: Journal of Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Scholarship is currently accepting submissions for its next issue, On the Future. The future always beckons, whether as a source of hope in times of abundance or of urgency and dread in times of political, economic, and/or ecological crisis. Who is included and excluded in these visions of the future? Is the future imagined as continuous with the present, or in completely different terms?
Process: Journal of Multidisciplinary Undergraduate Scholarship invites submissions that reflect upon or even demonstrate how the future resonates in culture, broadly conceived. This may include reflections on literature, the social sciences, the natural sciences, the arts, cultural theory, geography and urban studies, media studies, and history.
Creative as well as critical pieces will be considered, and with authors welcome to consider the following as a starting point:
- future political imaginaries
- future-oriented formal devices (addressing future readers)
- “the future” in history
- alternative temporalities
- political uses of the future in the present (reproductive futurism; apocalyptic politics)
- ecocriticism, climate change, and the Anthropocene
- apocalypse in art and literature
- utopia and dystopia
- difference, identity, and the future (critical race studies, feminism, queer studies, disability studies)
Deadline: Monday, May 27, 2019