Applicants can appeal a financial aid award by submitting a written request to the Office of Financial Aid Appeal Committee documenting a significant change to their family's financial situation. More information about the appeals process can be found here

The College reserves the right to implement a deadline on the appeal process.

A student who fails to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards for two consecutive semesters may appeal to the Committee on Academic Standing for permission to continue for an additional semester of academic probation and for a semester of financial aid probation. Appeals must be submitted directly to the Committee on Academic Standing. The reasons a student may appeal to continue to receive financial aid include a student’s injury or illness, the death of a relative, or other special circumstance.

If the Academic Standing Committee approves the appeal, the Office of Financial Aid will notify the student that she is eligible for a financial aid probation semester. While on financial aid probation, students will be required to meet regularly with their dean and the student’s instructors will be asked to submit mid- semester reports regarding academic work. At the end of the financial aid probation period, the Committee on Academic Standing will determine if the student has met specified standards and/or regained good academic standing.

Bryn Mawr may meet eligibility through the following types of assistance: Federal Work-Study, Federal Direct Loan, Bryn Mawr Grant, and in some cases, Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Pell Grant and FSEOG Grant.

The Office of Financial Aid may estimate the student’s eligibility for federal and state assistance. College policy requires that federal and state grants, tuition benefits and entitlements replace an equal amount of Bryn Mawr Grant and/or FSEOG Grant. The total amount of aid the student receives, including outside scholarships, cannot exceed the determined eligibility for aid or, in the case of non need-based aid, the total cost of education.

Students who study as guest students at another U.S. institution are not eligible for Bryn Mawr Grant during their domestic abroad semester, but may be eligible for federal grants and loans if certain conditions are met.

To be eligible for federal funds, domestic abroad students must be in good academic standing at Bryn Mawr during the term immediately prior to study away. The student’s academic dean must approve participation in the program and confirm that the courses taken will count toward the student’s Bryn Mawr degree in accordance with the College’s transfer credit policies.

Domestic Abroad students must provide the Office of Financial Aid with the address of the visiting school so that the College can partner with that institution to process federal loans and grants via a Consortium Agreement. A Consortium Agreement verifies the students’ costs and enrollment at a visiting school provided the courses taken will count toward a degree at Bryn Mawr.

When an undergraduate student fails to meet one or more of the satisfactory academic progress standards, the Committee on Academic Standing will place her on academic probation. The first time a student is placed on academic probation, the Office of Financial Aid will send the student a financial aid warning for one academic semester. Students with a status of financial aid warning are still eligible to receive financial aid.

If after the financial aid warning period, the Committee on Academic Standing does not deem the student to be maintaining satisfactory academic progress, the student will become ineligible to receive financial assistance. The Office of Financial Aid will notify the student that she is no longer eligible to receive federal and institutional financial aid.

Only students who are approved to study abroad by the Foreign Studies Committee, may receive financial aid funding for Junior Year Abroad (JYA) programs. To receive funds, students must follow the instructions required to renew their financial aid at Bryn Mawr. For detailed program information visit: /studyabroad/students.html

Students who are approved by the Dean of the Undergraduate College to commute from home (with a parent or guardian in residence) must notify the Office of Financial Aid of their housing status. Eligibility for financial aid may be affected.

Eligibility for financial aid is not affected for students approved to move off-campus by the Residential Life off-campus lottery process. The Office of Financial Aid will use the same student cost of attendance budget for both on and off campus residents. The College does not offer institutional grants for living expenses that exceed the cost of living on campus. The family contribution is calculated the same way for students who live on and off campus.

Bryn Mawr Grant Awards will normally be offered to students for eight semesters only. A student may appeal for a ninth semester of Bryn Mawr grant if there is a mitigating reason, such as a medical leave of absence.

Maximum eligibility for Bryn Mawr Grant will be determined from the date students begin their studies

Bryn Mawr determines the expected parent contribution through a need-analysis formula applied to the information submitted on the FAFSA, the CSS PROFILE, the Noncustodial PROFILE and the federal tax returns. The need-analysis system considers the family's income, assets, living costs based on the size of the family, number of children in college and other information specific to the family situation.

A standard allowance for living expenses, based on the size of the family, is used in determining financial aid eligibility. Since families maintain different standards of living, the use of a standard allowance ensures that aid is distributed equitably among applicants. Differences in family circumstances and unusual necessary expenses, such as very high uninsured medical bills, may be considered. Siblings in graduate school and parents in college are not considered.

The parent contribution measures a family's ability to absorb educational costs over time. Most families will use a combination of current income, savings, educational loans and a payment plan to meet the family contribution. Descriptions of these programs are available in this handbook, and in other materials mailed to admitted students.

Satisfactory Academic Progress for the continuation of federal and institutional financial aid is monitored for undergraduates per semester by the Committee on Academic Standing. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Undergraduates

Students can view their most current financial aid application and award information on the Web through BIONIC at By using their Bryn Mawr College user ID and password, students can access the Student Center and their Financial Aid “To Do List” to check their awards.

  • Students may accept or decline their grants online.
  • Students may accept, decline, or reduce their loans online.
  • Federal Work Study awards are not credited to student accounts and cannot be accepted online.
  • To decline a work study award, a student must send written notice to the Office of Financial Aid or an e-mail to

Assuming a student remains eligible for financial assistance and her academic work satisfies at least the minimum standards, she may receive aid in her remaining years at Bryn Mawr. Awards are not automatically renewed; a student must reapply each year as the financial aid award must reflect any change in family circumstance.

The most significant changes in a financial aid award occur when:

  • student or parent income has increased or decreased
  • family size has changed from one year to the next
  • change occurs in the number of children in the family who are attending college 
  • self-help expectations (the amount earned through campus employment and the amount of federal loan expected) increase each year.

Bryn Mawr grants are awarded for a maximum of eight semesters.

A student’s eligibility for need-based aid is the difference between the total cost of education and the expected family contribution.

Cost of Education—Expected Family Contribution (EFC) = Need

McBride students must be over the age of 24. The McBride student and spouse (if applicable) must submit The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE.

All financial aid applicants must submit complete copies of both student and spouse’s (if applicable) 2013 U.S. federal tax return, both personal and business, with all pages, schedules and W-2 Forms to the College Board Institutional Document Imaging Service (IDOC) with IDOC cover sheet. Students and/or spouses who are not required to file a federal tax return must submit the Non-Tax-Filer Statement with copies of their W-2 Forms to IDOC. Where possible, students are encouraged to use IRS Data Retrieval to complete their FAFSA. (See IRS Data Retrieval and Tax Transcripts.) Bryn Mawr may request other forms and documentation, including a Federal Verification Worksheet and Federal Income Tax Transcripts, at the time of application review.

Only applicants who apply for aid from the College and complete that application at the time of admission are eligible to apply for institutional assistance during their subsequent years of enrollment.

Information and instructions about the deadlines and forms required to apply for aid from the College are available under the Apply for Aid section at

Forms Required to Apply Only for Federal Loans

McBride Students who do not wish to apply for need-based aid from the College, but who wish to apply for Federal Direct Loans must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and submit tax returns and, when applicable, Non-Tax- Filer Statements directly to the Office of Financial Aid. The CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE and Noncustodial PROFILE are not required. 

On behalf of the federal government, the Department of Education will electronically transmit undergraduate loan funds to Bryn Mawr College each semester. The loan is credited to the student’s account once she completes a loan entrance interview and signs a master promissory note (MPN). The Office of Financial Aid will notify the student when the funds have been credited. Loan funds are scheduled to be disbursed on the first day of classes. When the student borrows for the entire year, one-half of the loan proceeds will be credited to the student account in the fall and the remaining half in the spring. If the student borrows for only one semester, the loan funds will be credited in a single installment during the term for which she borrowed.

Upon receipt of the award letter or email notification, the student must log onto BiONiC to accept, reduce or decline her Federal Direct Loan.

Under certain conditions, federal regulations allow students to defer loan repayment. The most common deferments are for enrollment on at least a half-time basis, unemployment, and economic hardship. An active duty military deferment is available for loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2001. Complete information about loan deferments will be provided during the entrance and exit interview processes. Additional information can be found online at

All first-time Direct Loan borrowers at Bryn Mawr must complete loan entrance counseling to review their rights and responsibilities. The student may satisfy this obligation online at Entrance loan counseling is also available by appointment in the Office of Financial Aid.

All borrowers must complete exit counseling prior to graduating or within forty-five days of dropping enrollment below half-time. The student may satisfy this obligation online at Exit loan counseling is also available by appointment at the Office of Financial Aid.

The Federal Student Aid Ombudsman was created by the Department of Education to help resolve disputes and solve other problems with federal student loans.

The Ombudsman’s  Service Line is 1-877-557-2575. Fax number: 1-202-275-0549.

You may also write to:

U.S. Department of Education
FSA Ombudsman
830 First Street, NE Fourth Floor
Washington, DC 20202-5144

Students should take into consideration that a loan origination fee will be deducted from the loan disbursement each semester. This means that the net amount of loan funds credited to the student’s account will differ from the gross amount that was listed on the student’s award letter.

All Federal Direct Loan first-time borrowers must sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN). The MPN is a multi-year promissory note good for ten years from the date the first loan is disbursed. Borrowers may complete an electronic MPN (eMPN) at The eMPN speeds up the processing of the loan.

Loan repayment begins six months after the student ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis. The repayment term ranges from 10 to 25 years depending on the amount borrowed and the repayment plan chosen. The minimum monthly payment is $50. If the student borrows a smaller amount, she will have shorter repayment terms. If the student borrows a larger amount, she may wish to consolidate her loan to extend the repayment term. There are additional requirements for each repayment plan. You can read more about each of the plans, including the new “Pay as You Earn Repayment Plan.”  The student should review her options at: You can use their online calculators to estimate your monthly payment under each repayment plan.

The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) is the U.S. Department of Education’s central database for student financial aid records. The secure NSLDS web site,, allows you to track and manage your federal grants and student loans from when they are approved until you pay them off. Using your federal PIN (the one you use when completing your FAFSA), you can access this web site 24 hours a day. Please note that loan information at NSLDS is accessible to authorized users at schools and to lender and guaranty agencies.

Outside scholarships are awards made by outside organizations including national or local scholarship programs, religious, fraternal, social and scholastic organizations.

Federal and state grants, tuition benefits and entitlements are not considered outside scholarships, but rather are considered a direct resource to the students in determining their eligibility for College aid in the same manner as the calculated family contribution and will replace an equal amount of Bryn Mawr Grant and/or FSEOG.

Students must report outside scholarships and assistance sources to the Office of Financial Aid so that the additional funds can be incorporated determining eligibility for need-based aid.

Treatment of outside scholarships for domestic students receiving need-based College aid

Bryn Mawr allows outside scholarships and grant awards to reduce student resource expectation, which includes a summer savings requirement* loan and academic year employment award. For most students receiving need-based college aid, the student resource expectation is $9,900, consisting of $2,000 in student employment, a $5,500 loan expectation and a $2,400 summer saving requirement* Bryn Mawr Grant will only be reduced when the total of outside scholarships or grants is greater than the student resource expectation.

An outside grant or scholarship cannot replace the student’s parent contribution or the student’s asset contribution.

A student may not be able to replace the entire amount of the student resource expectation with outside awards due to eligibility requirements for federal and state need-based aid.

* The summer savings requirement can only be reduced if the student has not actually earned the funds as shown on the financial aid application and the tax return.

Treatment of outside scholarships and assistance for students receiving College merit aid

The amount of Bryn Mawr merit aid will not be reduced for students receiving outside scholarship and entitlements unless the total amount of the merit aid and the outside scholarship and entitlements exceed the cost of attendance, in which case the merit award will be reduced such that the total aid does not exceed the cost of attendance.

Treatment of outside scholarships for international students

Outside scholarships and grants received after the award notification will not replace your family contribution. Instead, the scholarship or grant will replace your Bryn Mawr international loan and work funding first, and then, if necessary, your Bryn Mawr international grant. 

Awards will be credited to students’ accounts when 
the College has received all of the following:

  • Signed copy of parents’ complete 2015 federal income tax returns with all pages, schedules and W-2 Forms or a Non-Tax- Filer Statement with W-2 Forms submitted through the College Board Institutional Document Service (IDOC).
  • Signed copy of the student’s 2015 federal income tax return and W2 forms, or a Non-Tax Filer Statement submitted through the College Board Institutional Document Service (IDOC).
  • The electronic results of the 2017-18 CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE for students receiving Bryn Mawr Grant assistance. 
  • The electronic results of the 2017-18 FAFSA.
  • If selected, a 2017-18 Federal Verification Worksheet. Follow instructions on the worksheet  to complete verification.
  • The student’s written or electronic confirmation to borrow a Federal Loan(s).
  • Perkins Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Perkins Loan Entrance Interview for borrowers receiving a Perkins Loan for the first time from Bryn Mawr College. 
  • Federal Direct Stafford Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Direct Stafford Loan counseling for first- time borrowers.
  • Funds from the donor, state or federal agency

Bryn Mawr College believes that the student and her family have the primary responsibility for financing the cost of education. Financial aid is intended to supplement the resources of the family to meet the expenses of a Bryn Mawr education and is administered on the basis of demonstrated eligibility.

U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Resident students must reapply for financial aid each year of enrollment by submitting the CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE, the FAFSA, and the CSS Noncustodial PROFILE (if applicable). Signed copies of the student and parent, or student and spouse’s (if applicable) federal tax returns, both business and personal, with all pages, schedules and W2 Forms must be submitted to the College Board Institutional Document Service (IDOC). Need-based awards are not automatically renewed. Eligibility for need-based financial aid (including federal loans) is assessed annually. The financial aid deadline for continuing students is April 15th. Only students who applied for financial aid from the College at the time of admission will be considered for grant assistance from the College in subsequent years of enrollment.

The College cannot guarantee that a continuing student will receive 100 percent of her determined eligibility if her application is received after the April 15 deadline.

All applicants must apply on time to their state scholarship programs each year. Some states will send grant applications. Bryn Mawr College will not replace forfeited state grants.

Tuition and Fee Increases

Tuition and fee increases are customary, and are used in determining the renewal award amounts. The family contribution is reassessed each year on the basis of the new information supplied on the application forms and supporting documents. The level of financial aid may change as a function of increased College costs and changes in family circumstances. The amounts and types of aid also depend on the amounts of federal and other funds that are made available to the College every year.

Awards for undergraduates may be revised or canceled if a student withdraws; enrolls less than full-time; changes housing status; has a change in family circumstances; provides information on the FAFSA that differs from other documents received; or receives outside assistance.

Students who enroll less than full-time must report all enrollment changes to the Office of Financial Aid each term.

Students who do not live on campus must notify the Office of Financial Aid of their housing status and provide their off-campus living expenses. If documented off-campus living expenses are lower than on-campus costs, the student’s cost of attendance will be adjusted downward and her aid adjusted accordingly. The College does not offer institutional grants for living expenses that exceed the cost of living on campus.


Satisfactory Academic Progress for the continuation of federal and institutional financial aid is monitored per semester by the Committee on Academic Standing.  Undergraduate students who fail to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards are notified by the Dean's Office.  Undergraduate financial aid recipients who fail to meet the satisfactory academic progress standards also receive notification from the Office of Financial Aid.  The Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Undergraduates can be found on the Dean's webpage: /deans/special_arrangemts/acad_prob_req_wd.shtml

Once a student’s grant has been adjusted to allow room for additional outside assistance, her award will be further revised, if necessary, to lower federal loan and work study awards to prevent a federal over-award. Reductions will be made in this order: Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Subsidized Direct Loan, Federal Work Study.

A federal over-award occurs when a student is receiving more need-based aid than her demonstrated need as determined by the U.S. Department of Education from the information provided on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If a federal over-award occurs, causing a student to lose eligibility for the Subsidized Federal Direct Loan Program, the Office of Financial Aid will advise the student of any eligibility remaining under the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan Program. Students are encouraged to keep their borrowing to a minimum and to borrow less after receiving outside scholarships. However, they will be invited to make this choice.

A student who loses eligibility for Federal Work Study because of an outside scholarship may still have the option to work on campus, depending on the availability of jobs, scheduling, and current College Student Employment policy.

Many announcements about local community support are made after the College’s initial financial aid award offer. Students receiving outside scholarships must inform the Office of Financial Aid as soon as possible so they can make necessary adjustments and provide notification of award changes.

The cost of education at Bryn Mawr includes not only the billed costs of tuition, fees, room and board, but also an estimated allowance for personal expenses, books and supplies ($2,000), and travel subsidy. While these costs are high, the tuition and fees cover only 50 percent of the actual cost of education. Gifts from alumnae and friends, income from the college endowment and income from the current operating budget cover the balance of the costs.

Drug Convictions and the FAFSA

Students who are currently enrolled and are completing the FAFSA will encounter the question: "Have you been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid?"

Students who answer "Yes" will be asked an additional series of questions to determine if the conviction affects their eligibility for federal student aid.

Students convicted of a federal or state offense of selling or possessing illegal drugs that occurred while they were receiving federal student aid are advised to still complete and submit the FAFSA to determine if they will be eligible for any type of aid.

Students who leave question 23 blank cannot receive federal financial aid until they respond by making a correction to their FAFSA.

A student who has been convicted of possession or sale of illegal drugs loses Title IV eligibility for a period of time specified in law.

The period of ineligibility depends on whether the conviction was for possession or sale of (including conspiring to sell) illegal drugs.

For convictions involving possession, the periods of ineligibility are as follows:

  • One conviction: one year after the date of conviction.
  • Two convictions: two years after the date of the second conviction.
  • Three or more convictions: indefinite from the date of the third conviction

For convictions involving sale, the periods of ineligibility are as follows:

  • One conviction: two years after the date of conviction.
  • Two or more convictions: indefinite from the date of the second conviction.
  • A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student for federal financial aid.

Convictions only count if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV aid—they do not count if the offense was not during such a period. Also, a conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record does not count, nor does one received when the student was a juvenile, unless the student was tried as an adult.

Regaining Eligibility
A student regains eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when the student successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program. Further drug convictions will make the student ineligible again. A student whose Title IV eligibility has been suspended indefinitely may regain eligibility only by successfully completing a drug rehabilitation program. A student who is under a one- or two-year penalty may regain eligibility before the expiration of the period of ineligibility by successfully completing a drug rehabilitation program. If the student successfully completes an approved drug rehabilitation program, eligibility is regained on the date the student successfully completes the program. It is the student’s responsibility to certify to the school that he/ she has successfully completed the rehabilitation program.

To qualify the student for eligibility, the drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unannounced drug tests, and:

  • have received or be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly under a Federal, State, or local government program; or
  • be administered or recognized by a Federal, State, or local government agency or court; or
  • have received or be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a Federally- or State-licensed insurance company; or
  • be administered or recognized by a Federally- or State-licensed hospital, health clinic or medical doctor.

Bryn Mawr College is firmly committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all members of its faculty, staff and student body. Bryn Mawr College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, age or disability in the administration of its educational policies, scholarship and loan programs, and athletic and other College administered programs, or in its employment practices.

In conformity with the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, and Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, it is also the policy of Bryn Mawr College not to discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs, activities or employment practices. The admission of only women in the Undergraduate College is in conformity with a provision of the Civil Rights Act. The provision of Title IX protects students and employees from all forms of illegal sex discrimination, which includes sexual harassment and sexual violence, in College programs and activities.

Inquiries regarding compliance with this legislation and other policies regarding nondiscrimination may be directed to the Equal Opportunity Officer ( or the Title IX Coordinator (, who administer the College’s procedures.

Financial Aid Code of Conduct:

  • The College will not participate in any revenue-sharing arrangement with any lender.
  • Officers, employees or agents of the College who are employed in the Office of FInancial Aid or who otherwise have responsibilities with respect to education loans will not solicit or accept any gift (other than those of de minimus value) from any lender, guarantor or servicer of educational loans.
  • Officers, employees or agents of the College who are employed in the Office of Financial Aid or who otherwise have responsibilities with respect to education loans will not accept any fee, payment or other financial benefit (including the opportunity to purchase stock) from any lender or affiliate of any lender as compensation for any type of consulting arrangement or other contract to provide services to a lender or on behalf of a lender relating to education loans.
  • The College will only assign a first-time borrower’s federal loan to the Federal Government as the lender. The College will be the lender for all Perkins Loans and International Student Loans.
  • The College will not assign a student’s private loan to a particular lender, or refuse to certify or otherwise deny or delay certification of any private loan based on the borrower’s selection of a particular lender or guarantor.
  • The College will not request or accept from any lender any offer of funds for private education loans to students, including funds for an opportunity loan pool, in exchange for the College providing the lender with a specified number or volume of Title IV loans or a preferred lender arrangement with respect to such loans.
  • The College will not request or accept from any lender any assistance with call center or Office of Financial Aid staffing.
  • Officers, employees or agents of the College who are employed in the Office of Financial Aid or who otherwise have responsibilities with respect to education loans, and who serve on any advisory board, commission or group established by any lender, guarantor, or group of lenders or guarantors, will not accept anything of value from the lender, guarantor, or group of lenders or guarantors, except for reasonable reimbursement of expenses incurred in serving on such an advisory board, commission or group.

Student Rights and Responsibilities

Students have the right to know:

  • Office of Financial Aid location, hours and counseling procedures.
  • The financial aid programs available at Bryn Mawr College.
  • The application procedures and deadlines.
  • The criteria for selecting financial aid recipients.
  • The criteria for determining need.
  • The method for determining the amounts and types of awards.
  • The costs that were considered in determining eligibility for aid.
  • The method and timing of financial aid payments.
  • The basis for determining satisfactory academic progress to continue receiving financial aid and what happens when progress
    is not made.
  • The portion of aid that must be repaid, the portion that is grant, and the portion that must be earned through employment.
  • If offered a Federal Work Study award, the nature of the job, the required number of work hours, job duties, the pay, and the method and timing of payments.
  • Financial aid applications are confidential. Information concerning financial aid applicants will be released only to agencies that require
    the information for scholarship considerations and only when authorized by the student.

Students are responsible for:

  • Completing all application forms accurately and submitting them on time to the appropriate place.
  • Providing all documentation, verification, corrections and/or other scholarship information requested by the Office of Financial Aid or other scholarship agencies.
  • Reporting enrollment changes to the Office of Financial Aid.
  • Reading and understanding all forms that are distributed and retain copies.
  • Performing the work that is agreed upon if a work-study position is offered and accepted.
  • Reporting name and address changes directly to the Registrar and lenders of all educational loans received.
  • When filing U.S. taxes, include as taxable income all grant aid that exceeds the cost of tuition, fees, books and supplies.