For purposes of federal aid only, Bryn Mawr College will consider students independent who meet the federal criteria. To determine if the student meets the federal definition of independent status, go to and complete the Dependency Status Worksheet.

For purposes of Bryn Mawr’s institutional grant, if a student receives aid as a dependent of her parents in her first award year, she will be considered a dependent for all subsequent years at Bryn Mawr. For purposes of institutional support, this status will not change, regardless of family relationships or a change in family relationships once the student has entered college.

If a student believes she qualifies for aid as an independent student, she should write a letter addressed to the Director of Financial Aid.