POSITION TITLE: Accounting Assistant
EXEMPTION STATUS: Non-exempt
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Senior Staff Accountant
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Responsible for a variety of duties involving the recording of cash, credit card, EFT transactions and the preparation of daily bank deposits. Administer all functions related to the Controller’s Office petty cash fund. Performs complex account reconciliations. Interacts with students, faculty and staff in performance of duties. Uses the web government sales and use tax filings and research as needed.
- Opens and distributes daily office mail delivery
- Prepares all aspects of the daily deposit from posting activity in ERP system to preparing physical deposit to reconciliation of activity between the bank and ERP system. May be required to deliver daily deposit to bank branch
- Separately sends foreign checks (US$ and foreign currency) to bank for conversion. Tracks, records conversion amount and records transaction.
- Provides necessary entries and notifications of checks returned from bank.
- Monthly reconciles Nelnet bank deposits to PeopleSoft Nelnet payment activity posted to general ledger. Prepares monthly entry for Nelnet student payments.
- Administers all functions related to the Office petty cash fund; reconciliation, reimbursements & replenishment requests
- Handles parking ticket and library fine payments/collections.
- Prepares monthly estimates of Sales & Use Tax payment and submits via eTides and subsequent reconciliation and adjustment as needed
- Responsible for monthly audit count of Post Office inventory and meter readings.
- Reconciliation of various balance sheet accounts
- Other duties as assigned
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Accounting/bookkeeping background: Associates Degree with accounting emphasis plus one year experience or three years of office experience related to handling of cash receipts using electronic software program.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), e-mail and calendar software systems.
- Experience working in complex ERP systems; PeopleSoft and Financial Edge experience a plus.
- Willingness to learn and accept new processes and procedures.
- Ability to work independently or as a member of a team, problem-solve, tolerate interruptions, and multi-task.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, superior interpersonal skills.
- Ability to exercise tact and discretion when handling confidential information and situations
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to detail and data entry skills
- Read and follow written instructions.
- Ability to lift 10 lbs.
- Ability to be mobile between various works stations and to occasionally stand while working
- Ability to walk stairs several times daily