The Assistant Director of Volunteer Programs is housed in Civic Engagement within Bryn Mawr’s Leadership, Innovation, and Liberal Arts Center (LILAC). LILAC’s mission is to prepare Bryn Mawr students to be effective, self-aware leaders in their chosen life pursuits. As part of LILAC, Civic Engagement collaborates with community-based organizations to prepare students to be socially responsible leaders and citizens through purposeful action, reflection, and learning.
The Assistant Director of Volunteer Programs supports undergraduate student involvement in Civic Engagement by supervising and coordinating volunteer and community service programs. The Assistant Director of Volunteer Programs will work with our community partners to maintain and develop existing partnerships that support these programs and assist the office in developing new relationships and programs. The Assistant Director of Volunteer Programs will supervise a team of undergraduate Student Coordinators and, in partnership with them, develop training and reflection activities to support their service work and insure that student engagement through these programs is meaningful, purposeful, and meets the needs of all those involved. The Assistant Director of Volunteer Programs will also assist in the coordination and facilitation of various annual programs related to civic engagement.
Program Coordination and Development
- Provide oversight to the Civic Engagement Office’s co-curricular service programs by supervising a team of Student Coordinators and providing guidance and support to their work to publicize ongoing volunteer programs, recruit new volunteers, coordinate information sessions, and maintain ongoing communication with both student volunteers and community partner organizations.
- Meet regularly with student coordinators and select and train new Student Coordinators as needed.
- Develop and implement structured reflection sessions to assist volunteers with the challenges of service work and discuss the meaning of their work in a larger context.
- Assist in the planning and facilitation of the Summer of Service program. Duties include publicizing the opportunity to students, recruiting, interviewing and selecting participants, planning and facilitating weekly reflection meetings during the 10-week program, and conducting site visits for each student’s placement.
- Advise individual students interested in independent volunteer work or internships about available opportunities and support provided by the Civic Engagement Office.
- Conduct site visits at community partner agencies and service sites where students engage in civic engagement activities.
- Respond to community requests for volunteers for both ongoing and one-time service activities and help facilitate student involvement where appropriate.
- Maintain active involvement in regional service-learning organizations by attending meetings and workshops.
- Provide documentation of each co-curricular program and provide participation data for each program
- Contribute to creation of Civic Engagement annual report and end of year reporting for LILAC, compiling, analyzing, interpreting, and presenting both qualitative and quantitative data collected during the academic year
Departmental and Interdepartmental Program Planning
- Participate in LILAC and Civic Engagement staff meetings and planning committees.
- Assist in the planning and facilitation of annual civic engagement programming including but not limited to: Constitution Day, Election Day/voter registration, Red Cross Blood Drives, etc.
- Represent LILAC and Civic Engagement at campus events and programs.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, EXPERIENCE, AND EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Two to three years volunteer management/training, program development/coordination experience
- Familiarity with the field of service-learning
- Excellent supervisory, management and leadership skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and presentation skills
- Team oriented, comfortable balancing multiple projects at once, and experienced in working with diverse populations
- Proficiency with MS Office, social networking (Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, etc.) platforms
- An interest in working with students, both one-on-one and in groups