WE ARE NO LONGER ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR THIS POSITION.
Associate Dean of Health and Wellness
Exciting Opportunity to Address Wellness at a Distinctive Institution
Bryn Mawr College invites applications and nominations for the newly established position of Associate Dean of Health and Wellness. Reflecting the College’s strong commitment to providing a comprehensive and integrated approach to supporting students, Bryn Mawr has created this position to provide a holistic vision and strategic leadership in addressing and supporting the needs of the College’s diverse student body related to medical, mental health, and wellness services. The Associate Dean must be a collaborative, innovative, inclusive, and knowledgeable leader who can be a strong advocate for student wellbeing while overseeing the services and operations of the Health and Wellness Center.
Bryn Mawr is seeking candidates who understand the liberal arts college environment and have an openness to learning about the College’s specific culture as it serves high-achieving women with a strong tradition of student self-governance. The student population at Bryn Mawr reflects many identities and backgrounds, and the Associate Dean must be knowledgeable and accepting of them in order to support students in the vital areas within the portfolio.
Reporting to the Dean of the Undergraduate College, the Associate Dean will be an active member of the leadership group that is responsible for supporting student life on campus. As part of this team and in settings with other members of the College community, the Associate Dean will be engaged in key conversations around student wellbeing and how to address concerns that are present.
The Associate Dean will have the extraordinary opportunity to play a key role in the development and opening of a new facility, expected in December 2020. The new building will not only provide space for medical and counseling services; it will house other key student-facing offices resulting in additional collaborative opportunities to enhance student success.
Bryn Mawr College, located in suburban Philadelphia, is one of the world's most distinguished and distinctive institutions of higher education. Every year approximately 1,350 undergraduate women and 350 coeducational graduate students from around the world gather on the College's historic campus to study with leading scholars, conduct advanced research, expand the boundaries of academic inquiry, and prepare for lives of purposeful action. The College was founded with a strong commitment to shared governance between the faculty, the Board, students, and senior administration. Decision-making remains highly collaborative and includes representation from all stakeholder constituent groups. Respect for students’ capacity to direct their own lives is an integral part of Bryn Mawr's history, as it was the first college in the country to approve a student self-government association (1891). Students take a large measure of responsibility for managing residential life and upholding standards of academic integrity through the College’s Honor Code.
Bryn Mawr remains committed to expanding opportunity for women. The Undergraduate College attracts women from diverse backgrounds who share an intense commitment to intellectual inquiry, an independent and purposeful vision of their lives, and a desire to make a meaningful contribution to their professions and to the world. Critical, creative, and collaborative thinkers, its students and alumnae are members of a tight-knit community that is founded on respect for the individual. The College attracts smart, independent, spirited students who seek the challenge and satisfaction of working with peers who share a passion for learning and for making a difference in the world. They come to Bryn Mawr from a remarkable array of national, socioeconomic, ethnic/racial, and personal backgrounds and have high expectations for achievement, friendship, and meaningful engagement.
The Associate Dean of Health and Wellness is responsible for strategic planning, vision, effective management, supervision, and day-to-day administration of the health, counseling, and wellness services provided in the Health and Wellness Center. Through the direct supervision of the Directors of Counseling and Medical Services, the Associate Dean oversees the team of clinicians and support staff who provide essential medical and mental health services to the student body.
The Associate Dean reports directly to the Dean of the Undergraduate College and collaborates closely with colleagues throughout the Dean’s division as well as other key stakeholders to ensure the delivery of high quality respectful care to students in alignment with the College's mission and goals.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following.
- Provide overall leadership, vision, and direction for the Health and Wellness Center.
- Provide oversight and support in order to ensure the delivery of high-quality primary care, mental health and counseling, health promotion, and educational outreach services.
- Supervise and manage direct reports; oversee personnel recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation; provide frequent opportunities for professional development.
- Oversee the budget and all other fiscal and administrative responsibilities and building management.
- Assess student health and wellness needs and explore and implement innovative practices to deliver high quality efficient programs, services, and operations.
- Establish and maintain close collaborations with campus partners, and liaise with off-campus medical and mental health providers.
- Serve as a knowledgeable resource for best practices, regulatory and statutory requirements, licensing requirements and accreditation standards; assure compliance with HIPAA standards.
- Support campus emergency preparedness and response to public health issues.
- Manage contracts and professional relationships with external venders and health care institutions.
- Oversee communications of from the Health and Wellness Center including the website.
- Provide counsel to the Dean of the Undergraduate College and others on matters related to the health of students and the campus.
- Master’s degree in Health Administration, Public or Community Health, Social Work, Counseling, Psychology, Education, Nursing, or a related field; or a Medical Degree
- At least seven years of relevant progressive leadership and professional experience that includes demonstrated success in the management and supervision of health, mental health, or health promotion services, or a closely related area of health care practice and administration
- Experience working and leading in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Demonstrated ability to understand perspectives and experiences of people from under-served and marginalized communities
- Knowledge of integrated care and ability to effectively implement and lead an integrated model of health and counseling
- Knowledge of local, regional and national issues, trends, and best practice standards in primary health care, health promotion and prevention, mental health, health insurance, and managed care, as well as of national certification and accreditation requirements
- Current understanding of confidentiality polices for both medical and counseling models; understanding of risk management and legal practices
- Experience in budget and personnel management in a healthcare environment
- Genuine appreciation for student development theory and a holistic, multidisciplinary approach to student health
- Demonstrated excellent leadership, communication, interpersonal, and public speaking skills, including the ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds
- Direct related experience in a college or university setting
- Experience with Electronic Health Records
Bryn Mawr College is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender, age, or disability in its employment practices. We are committed to building a culturally diverse environment and welcome all applicants.