Bryn Mawr College provides medical and vision benefits to full-time and part-time staff members who are scheduled to work at least the equivalent of 26 hours per week (52 weeks per year, or 1,352 hours annually). Please refer to the Benefits Guidebook, Handbooks and Policies and other provided plan documentation for complete details. You may also contact Human Resources with any questions.
Medical insurance is provided through Independence Blue Cross. Plan options and costs are in the Benefits Guidebook.
Health Savings Account
If you enroll in the High Deductible Health Plan, you will be eligible to open a Health Savings Account (HSA). An HSA allows you to save pre-tax money through payroll deductions and to use those funds to pay for qualified medical expenses for you and your family.
- An HSA is a bank account that is controlled by you.
- You will never forfeit money you have deposited (unused funds roll over year after year).
- You may keep your account if you ever leave Bryn Mawr College.
- The maximum amount that you can contribute to your HSA in 2018 is $3,450 for employee only coverage and $6,900 for all other coverage tiers. Special rules apply if you cover a non-tax dependent.
- When you enroll in the High Deductible Health Plan with Independence, an HSA account will automatically be set-up for you with HealthEquity.
- If you are age 55 or over, you can make a $1,000 annual “Catchup” contribution.