Chef de Cuisine
We are looking for an energetic and motivated individual who assists in the supervising, overseeing and preparing meals in a high volume, commercial kitchen serving 1500-2000 meals per day. Prepares menu as directed. Assists the Unit Manager and Chef Manager in the training, supervision and directing of production staff for board plan operations.
*Prepares daily menu items as directed.
*Supervising and training all food production staff which include: Cooks, Cold Cooks, General Food Service Workers and student staff.
*Trains full time and student workers on production techniques.
*Managing menu/recipe development for the Board Plan, Specials Events.
*Assists Production Manager with coordinating the ordering of food, supplies and equipment.
*Assists with inventory management and control.
* Interfaces with Chef Manager to ensure product is ready for production and production guides are distributed.
* Provides oversight to ensure food is produced and presented in a timely matter as well as meeting the quantities to be produced. Follows established system for serving methods and food handling techniques to ensure the highest of quality.
* Responsibilities can include assigning food production duties to kitchen production staff daily. Responsibility for working with full-time and student staff to ensure all production needs are covered, including recruiting and training student kitchen workers. Works with Unit & Chef Managers to determine appropriate staffing levels.
* Ensures that the prep is completed for the following day.
* Supervises and ensures that the proper sanitation and safety regulations are followed.
* Works with Chef Manager to ensure proper utilization of leftover food. Adjusts following day’s production amount as appropriate.
* Meets with the Chef Manager daily to review counts, details and menus.
* Performs various supervisory duties.
* Performs other duties as needed.
SKILLS, ABILITIES, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
* Culinary degree in food preparation and three to five years relevant experience in a high volume, commercial environment. The equivalent or combination of experience and/or training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be considered.
* Ability to plan and lead staff training sessions, along with on the job training.
* Must have thorough knowledge of all aspects of food preparation to include vegan/vegetarian cuisines as well as service and sanitation.
* Must have good oral and written communication skills.
* Ability to manage implementation of food systems and operational procedures.
* Ability to work under pressure.
* Ability to maintain good, accurate records, as well as a basic skillset in using a computer.
* Prior supervisory experience.
* Excellent hearing/speaking ability
* Good manual dexterity
* Ability to climb stairs
* Ability to be mobile between workstations and other areas on campus
* Ability to work in extreme temperatures
* Ability to lift 50+ pounds
* Ability to stand for extended periods of time
* Ability to operate kitchen equipment properly.
* Vision sufficient to prepare detailed food presentations and read printed materials.
* Ability to operate a motor vehicle and maintain a valid driver’s license.
* Serve Safe Certification required.