POSITION TITLE: Cold Food Cook /Swing Cook
POSITION OBJECTIVE: Performs a variety of culinary duties associated with the preparation, presentation and service of hot & cold food items such as salads, sandwiches and desserts in strict accordance with Dining Services’ procedures and standards. Responsible for working full cook shifts as scheduled. Responsible for maintaining a sanitary kitchen work station.
- Follows and completes production sheets in the preparation of hot & cold food items which appear on the daily menu.
- Prepares a variety of desserts such as cakes, pies, and cookies as directed by the production sheet.
- Bakes desserts as needed.
- Produces box meals in accordance with managerial instruction and/or direction.
- Prepares foods for the salad bar, deli line, and yogurt bar. Prepares all cold foods.
- -cleans and cuts vegetables
- -sets up salad bar and deli line
- -oversees deli line and condiment area during meal
- -directly responsible for salad line during meal
- -cleans salad bar and deli line at close of meal
- Maintains record of the amount of freshly prepared food and leftover food.
- Fills in for cook on occasion as needed or directed by manager.
- Responsible for maintaining proper food temperatures of both hot and cold foods (hot above 140°F and cold foods below 40°F), taking corrective action as necessary. Keeps accurate food temperature charts, reporting problems to supervisors.
- Adheres to standards outlined by sanitation program (ServSafe).
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned or directed.
- Works with, trains and directs student staff assigned to assist the position.
- Works catered events and special functions as needed.
- Works full cooking shifts as assigned on the schedule by the unit manager. (Follow full cook job description and timelines. Total number of full cooking shifts should not exceed 20 hours in a 40 hour work week.)
SKILLS, ABILITIES, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Ability to read and follow both oral and written instructions
- Must be able to lift 50+ lbs.
- Must be mobile between numerous campus buildings
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures
- Must be able to climb stairs while carrying heavy items
- Must be able to bend over and reach up and down
- Thorough knowledge of safety precautions and regulations regarding the use, care and cleaning of dining service machines and equipment
- One to three years experience in the preparation and presentation of volume cold food items or any combination of education and experience to provide necessary skills and abilities
- Must have current ServSafe certification
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY:
- Follows established work routines; periodic checks for performance of daily assignments; questions non-standard or unusual conditions.
- Work is checked by Managerial staff in the unit.
- Errors result in the loss of time and money.
- Primarily internal contact with members of the unit involving reporting or exchange of information. Duties may require non-business contact with students/staff which should be handled in a courteous professional manner.
- Frequent physical effort involving lifting of heavy weights, stopping, standing, and bending for extended periods of time.
- May periodically be required to guide or direct the work of general kitchen workers and/or students.
- Since Bryn Mawr College is a residential college, Dining Services is an essential service. Employees may be assigned to various shifts and units as needed.