Social Sciences and Data Librarian
SUPERVISOR: Director of Library Research & Instructional Services and Scholarly Communications Librarian
Develops, promotes, and delivers a full range of library research and instructional services for the social sciences. Takes a leading role in providing support to the campus community for work with quantitative, qualitative, and geospatial data. Participates in and collaborates on information literacy, collection development, and digital scholarship initiatives. Performs a variety of professional duties in support of the mission of Library & Information Technology Services (LITS), the Tri-College library consortium, and Bryn Mawr College.
- Provides specialized research and instructional services for Anthropology, Economics, Political Science, Sociology, and related interdisciplinary programs.
- Partners with faculty to plan and deliver curriculum-integrated information literacy instruction and assess student learning
- Provides leadership in developing programmatic support of numeric and geospatial data services, including facilitating access to data resources and providing research and instruction support to faculty and students in their use
- Participates in the evaluation and selection of print and online collections for the social sciences, including social science data resources and government documents
- Collaborates with LITS and other colleagues on digital scholarship projects and assessment initiatives
- In collaboration with colleagues in Research and Instructional Services, engages in library outreach initiatives and partnerships with student groups, faculty, and administrative offices
- Participates in committee work and professional activities of LITS and the Tri-College Libraries
- Maintains an active involvement in the academic library community and represents LITS at meetings of professional and scholarly organizations
- Hires and supervises the work of student assistants
- Performs other duties as required or assigned
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Advanced knowledge of social science information and data sources
- Advanced knowledge of the scholarly research process and bibliographic databases
- Excellent teaching skills with demonstrated knowledge of information literacy pedagogy and instructional design
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative analysis, geospatial and data visualization tools
- Knowledge of emerging technologies in higher education teaching, learning, and research
- Familiarity with digital scholarship trends and technologies
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Highly developed interpersonal and pedagogical skills
- Ability to communicate with a high degree of effectiveness, both orally and in writing
- Ability to interact effectively with faculty, staff, students, and the general scholarly community
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
MLS from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent. MA/MS in an appropriate subject field preferred. Minimum three years of professional experience in research and instructional services in an academic library, or relevant teaching experience. Knowledge of emerging information technologies, pedagogy, and research and scholarship trends. Must also have the ability to be mobile between campus buildings and to travel for meetings at Haverford, Swarthmore, and other area locations.
Bryn Mawr is a private liberal arts institution located approximately 11 miles west of Philadelphia, PA., and serves a population of 1,800 students at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. The College has a long tradition of educational excellence offering a dynamic and challenging work environment with many opportunities for professional growth.